Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Loading and casting for 45 acp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 02:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Loading and casting for 45 acp

I just bought a Springfield Loaded pistol in a 45 acp the gun you see in my avatar is a loaded springfield in a 9mm nothing but slide and frame or SA anymore, but I have not had a 45 in a couple years been shooting 40SW and 9mm I did not realize how much I missed it. So I got to casting I have a Hensley and Gibbs mold I think they are no longer around, but what a pleasure it was casting with that mold, right from the start they came out great at 200 gr swc, and just dead balls accurate behind 4.7 WST I use it on all cast bullets I found less smoke with it, I make my own lube.

Has anyone heard of Hensley &Gibb?

I use a lyman #2 mix weight was perfect, the gun ran flawless at a OAL of 1.260 the gun was from the range where I get all the brass I sell here it was a rental, I have been waiting until I felt it was broke in, I hate messing with a tight brand new gun, the one you see here was new out of box I spent 3 hours with valve lapping compound working in the slide to frame once I did that it ran great.

I will soon get a EGW Sear and Doug Koenig hammer and put a 2 1/2 pound trigger pull on it, Those factory 5 pound triggers are nuts, I am not crazy about the night sights, I will probably put bomar rear and Dawson front fibre on it, but that is all I will do so I can shoot in the Single Stack Classic in the Spring at PASA.

It shoots good at 15 yards one shot on top of the other soon as I do trigger job we will test at 25 yards if it does not shoot a 2 inch group or less then I will put a Shueman barrel in it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #2

Sounds like a nice gun .

Why change barrels and put in such a light trigger pull ? Are you intending to use it for serious Target competition ?

If it is just a play toy/defense weapon I wouldn't go below about 4 lbs for the trigger .

You can shoot with a crisp clean 4 lb trigger very well and not worry about it going full auto on you as some of those ultra light trigger jobs do .

I've heard of Hensley & Gibb but I never got into casting , I just order my LSW bullets .

I wish someone would make a set of night sights in the traditional configuration of a white outline rear and orange bar style front they make all kinds of styles now just not those .

Old 09-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #3

Big001,

Yes I will be competing with it and I do not believe I could own a gun with more then 3 pound trigger, Example, I had a Springfield Trophy Match 6 inch gun from the factory shooting off a rest at 25 yards it would shoot 5 inch groups did only the trigger to 2 1/2 pounds and it went to 2 and 2 1/2 inch groups, changed the barrel to a Shueman and it went to 1 and 1 1/2 groups.

Trigger job is the best thing and first thing a person should do for accuracy.

I saw a news report last year about 2 cops and a bad guy they shot 32 rounds both of them together, only 2 rounds hit the criminal killing him, that 5 to 7 pound trigger on their Glock could have got them killed.

As far as a trigger going full auto if you have the proper jig that will not happen, it takes the right tools to do it I have seen guys try to with out and yes it will run until gun is emty.

I do not recommend a light trigger for some one who has little knowledge and experience shooting, but on my first light trigger I had to practice and practice untill I could shoot it safely with out accidental discharge upon drawing from the holster and first shot and learning to double tap it without getting a third shot from recoil.

I guess it is all in what a person wants out of his weapon I like mine to be dead on accurate then I know the rest is up to me.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #4

Liked 2255 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

H&G molds are likely the best ever made. The accuracy of the .45 200 gr SWC is the standard for all bullets.

I never had the green to buy H&G. I use Lyman and Lee molds. I generally go a bit softer than #2 alloy for handguns, especially low velocity/low pressure cartridges like the .45, .38 spl and .380.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #5

I have another H&G think it is 195 not sure would have to cast a few, but I know it is lighter then 200 I have thought to sell it I do not need two I bought as a set buy one buy both, so I may put it up for sale, I bought the set for 150 so 75 for each 3 years ago I only cast a few in the lighter one.

As far as Lyman #2 I have had such great luck with it, I don't mind 9 bucks for some 50/50 since my WW or free, that is cheap shooting.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_1947 View Post
Big001,
Trigger job is the best thing and first thing a person should do for accuracy.
Truer words were never spoken. I bought/traded for a Kimber stainless 1911 from a friend who told me when I bought gun that the reason he was selling/trading it that (he warned me) it was the most inaccurate 45 he had ever owned. I took a feel of the trigger and it was kinda like a two stag when you pulled it felt like it was going to off and the trigger stopped and you had to pull harder to drop the hammer. I got the gun home did the trigger and the first three shots at 25 yards off sand bags yielded me a Micky Mouse face with no center. I have 5 or 6 1911 style guns and none shoot any better than this one. Same goes for a rifle, it is difficult if not impossible to shoot a decent group (under an inch) at a hundred yards with a 8 pound trigger. As for molds I used to years ago have a set of Hensley Gibbs in 38 that I think I bought from Andrew Jackson. LOL I have always used LBT and I shoot a 230 grain round nose behind 7 grains of Unique that goes more than 900 fps and they are dead accurate. For carry I use the same powder charge but with 230 jacketed hollow points.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #7

Sure most don't realize that a heavy trigger pulls you off target, it is that simple, if anyone has never shot a pistol single action that has a light trigger find a local gun club that shoots USPSA or Steel and ask someone to try it out, most like to show off their finely tuned guns, you will never go back to a factory trigger, but of coarse this is only suggested for those who have been shooting regularly for a couple years and be very cautious , keep your finger off the trigger until on target, when we run from target to target in USPSA your finger better be out of trigger gaurd while moving and not until you are engaging target or targets, you will be DQed (disqualified) and told put your gun away you are done for the day.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #8

Liked 2255 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

I get my WW's free also but I have access to free virgin lead also so I mix 8 lbs WW, 1lb 50/50 and 2lb virgin for low vel pistols.

I use linotype for rifles. I get that almost free.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #9

You can't beat that