Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Loading cast bullet questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 760 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Default Loading cast bullet questions...

I "thought" I was going to pass on the used 650 and get a 550 kit...

Looking at Dardas cast bullet site

Quote:
There are two important elements that need to be considered to produce trouble free cast bullet reloads. The first element is case mouth preparation. I always recommend that the Lyman 2 Step M Die be used to prepare case mouths properly. This die will allow the cast bullet to be placed into the mouth without tipping. The second element is the seating stem. Make sure that your seating stem is contacting the bullet's ogive about mid way down from the tip of the bullet. And make sure that the tip of the bullet is not contacting the seating stem where the hole opening is. The clearance hole MUST be large enough to allow the bullet's tip to clear. I strongly recommend that you use Lyman dies for cast bullet reloading.

Please do not use a Factory Crimp Die for cast bullet reloading. Cast bullets MUST be seated perfectly square to provide trouble free accurate reloads! Cast bullets MUST remain in their pristine state in order to shoot accurately. Factory Crimp Dies will alter the cast bullet's sized diameter and thus will cause many unwanted issues.
Are the Dillon dies really that bad to load unplated bullets? The owner of Dardas, Matt told me that $100 off the price of a used (well used...) was a fantastic deal and I should jump on it.

I am still so confused, LOL

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #2

Liked 1670 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

I load cast bullets all the time. Heck that is almost all I use. I use Lee, Lyman and RCBS. I have never had a problem with any of them.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #3

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Never had a problem with cast bullets and Dillon dies. Well into seven figures and still going, several different calibers of course.

Jim........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #4

Liked 2215 Times on 999 Posts
Likes Given: 2142

I load cast all the time with my both my Dillon all the time. In fact when you load cast, lube tends to build up in the dies with the dillon just pull a pin and you can clean them without screwing up your settings.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you for the responses. I also asked Brian Enos his opinion, he called BS stating he's never heard a single complaint.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2589 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

The M die may be nice for rifles, but unnecessary for pistols. I do not use the M die in any caliber. I put a generous chamfer on the mouth of all rifle brass I am loading with a cast bullet to ease seating.

Sounds like someone is trying to sell you something you really do not need

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The M die may be nice for rifles, but unnecessary for pistols. I do not use the M die in any caliber. I put a generous chamfer on the mouth of all rifle brass I am loading with a cast bullet to ease seating.

Sounds like someone is trying to sell you something you really do not need
here's the irony, he doesn't sell the dies, he only sells the bullets... people that use his bullet said they are pleased with the quality.