Loading for AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Loading for AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
zap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Loading for AR

Hi all,

I've looked around the site and while I found some other threads referencing some of my questions, I couldn't find answers to them all. Please forgive me if I missed something.

Here is the deal, I am comfortable loading shotshells and pistol rounds. However, I've never loaded rifle rounds.

I am carrying M855s on duty, and want to load 62gr (though not necessarily M855s) for range time. I'm running them through an M&P15.

I saw some recommendations on loading 55gr, but not 62s.

Also, the thing that really is confusing to me, is what dies I'll need. I see collet and full size dies and having not reloaded these don't really understand what the differences are. I typically use Lee stuff, and see different rifle die sets and am not certain they are complete or which will be the best for my particular use.

I would appreciate any help you might offer!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

For an AR you need a full length size die or a small base die. No neck sizing for the AR.

If you get the newest Sierra or Hornady loading manual they will have a section specifically for the AR. My hornady manual lists a 68gr bullet in their service rifle section.

Crimping is optional some do some don't I would get the factory crimp die and do that if you want to crimp. RCBS rifle dies all come with a roll crimp installed.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ditto what CP said. With the Lee 3-Die set you will get everything you need, including the Factory Crimp Die, which I reccommend for ALL semi-auto reloading, even the relatively anemic .223 as far as recoil. I have had uncrimped bullets end up INSIDE the case. My most accurate loads are with 68 gr. Hornady BTHP or 69 gr. Sierra BTHP Matchkings using H335 powder. If you have a 1:7 to 1:9 twist rate you should get better results with the heavier bullets.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I normally use 55 gr. Sierras in my V-Match. I have been working on a 69 gr load using H335, 4895, and 4064. I shot some of the 69 gr. loads last week and they were just alright. I had loaded some 55grs with 4064 and started shooting them because I was having so much fun. The 55 gr loads with the 4064 shot far superior out of that gun than any thing else I have ever used. There was one big hole from ten rounds at twelve o-clock.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another nod for Lee. I use the 3 die set with the factory crimp die. It crimps very well and will never buckle a case unlike other brands of roll crimp dies. In fact I had to pull a bullet the other day after it was crimped and couldn't pull it with the inertia puller. Would not come out after 20 whacks on the concrete floor!!!! I use the Lee 4 hole Cast turret press and use the Lee rifle charging die with the autodisk powder measure. I can crank out about 300 rounds an hour if I don't have to trim cases.

For general shooting, I use the Hornady 55 gr. FMJ with H4895, H335, 748 or IMR 3031. For serious accuracy, I use the Sierra 60 grain Varminter HP and 748 powder. Have shot mutiple .6" groups with this load at 100 yds. out of my Armarlite flattop with a 20x scope.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #6

+3 on the Lee factory crimp die, I'm new at this, but, I've had good results using this die on .45/70, .44mag, and .223. Well worth the few bucks.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 04-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
zap

Thanks for the responses guys.

I think I'll go with 62g armscore bullets and about 25gr of 748.

I ordered the pace setter die set...we'll see what that does. I think it comes with both the factory crimp and full length sizer.

I"m thinking I'll just run this through a single press and avoid buying another lee pro 1000 for the time being

Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #8

Right now, I only have a Lee hand press, works great. Not fast to be sure , but dependable!

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

Pres. Ronald Reagan

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 04-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

25 gr of 748 is what I use. Where do you work that you carry M-855 on duty? That would be one of my last choices out of a carbine. W-W 64gr Power Points are FAR superior.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #10

Different tack, which bullet is better, in your opinion for my lar, 55gr or larger. I guess what I'm asking is , what in your experience works best in a RRA lar? I'm not shooting over 200yds, and this is loading for SHTF situations.
I don't have the time, money or experience to work up too many loads and availability of components, at the moment is somewhat limiting.

Thomas Jefferson

Pres. Ronald Reagan