Loading .223
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Loading .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Loading .223

Hello everyone I have load data for 55gn spt bullets would the data for a
55gn fmj be any different? Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Safety IS paramount. So I would say look for other sources of data. There is a website that really helped me. I believe it was hogdon.com but I don't remember of the top of my head. You can put in caliber bullet weights. Powder brands. It show you tons of load data.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
Safety IS paramount. So I would say look for other sources of data. There is a website that really helped me. I believe it was hogdon.com but I don't remember of the top of my head. You can put in caliber bullet weights. Powder brands. It show you tons of load data.
Thanks for the tip what I have is load data for caliber and bullet weight the only differance between the two is the nose or tip of the bullet. So would the tip differance cause presure variances at all? I wouldnt think so but I perfer to know first.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Use your own discretion but I recently loaded 55gr hornady soft points and used the fmj data. As always i started with the low end and worked my way up, function was fine in my case buy YMMV

Old 07-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #5

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
Thanks for the tip what I have is load data for caliber and bullet weight the only differance between the two is the nose or tip of the bullet. So would the tip differance cause presure variances at all? I wouldnt think so but I perfer to know first.

When in doubt, always consult your loading manual data. With that being said, YES, you can use the same data.

Jim........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #6

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
Hello everyone I have load data for 55gn spt bullets would the data for a
55gn fmj be any different? Thanks in advance.

Load data is not a recipe, it is only a guideline and you will never be able to match published load data components exactly, never.

It is safe to load same weight bullets of similar design and construction as long as you follow the number one rule of safe handloading. Start Low and Work Up.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #7

Thanks everyone.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #8

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

A lot of manuals like Lyman for example, list multiple bullets from different manufacturers of the same weight with identical powder charge data. This in itself is not "dangerous", but the best method is to start 5% to 7% below max. with this type of data, then work up, giving yourself a slightly bigger "margin" of comfort. I've never had any issues using data like this, but now I rarely do because I'm somewhat of a loading manual whore. I have several dozen that I've collected over the years. So when in doubt I'll usually cross reference data to see if it's falling into the same parameters of charge weight.

The bottom line is I would have zero problem using the data you've mentioned. The differences in pressure you might encounter will not push anything into the danger zone. This is especially true if it's a newer manual. Most all of them have reduced everything because of the liability issue, along with the fact this nation has become lawyer and sue crazy. The results are softer loads in newer manuals across the board, regardless of caliber.