Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Loading .223 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/loading-223-a-68816/)

SwampDonkey 07-24-2012 01:31 AM

Loading .223

Hello everyone I have load data for 55gn spt bullets would the data for a
55gn fmj be any different? Thanks in advance.

jjfuller1 07-24-2012 01:43 AM

Safety IS paramount. So I would say look for other sources of data. There is a website that really helped me. I believe it was hogdon.com but I don't remember of the top of my head. You can put in caliber bullet weights. Powder brands. It show you tons of load data.

SwampDonkey 07-24-2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 879865)
Safety IS paramount. So I would say look for other sources of data. There is a website that really helped me. I believe it was hogdon.com but I don't remember of the top of my head. You can put in caliber bullet weights. Powder brands. It show you tons of load data.

Thanks for the tip what I have is load data for caliber and bullet weight the only differance between the two is the nose or tip of the bullet. So would the tip differance cause presure variances at all? I wouldnt think so but I perfer to know first.

ktmboyz 07-24-2012 02:12 AM

Use your own discretion but I recently loaded 55gr hornady soft points and used the fmj data. As always i started with the low end and worked my way up, function was fine in my case buy YMMV

masterPsmith 07-24-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampDonkey (Post 879879)
Thanks for the tip what I have is load data for caliber and bullet weight the only differance between the two is the nose or tip of the bullet. So would the tip differance cause presure variances at all? I wouldnt think so but I perfer to know first.

When in doubt, always consult your loading manual data. With that being said, YES, you can use the same data.

Jim........

steve4102 07-24-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampDonkey (Post 879856)
Hello everyone I have load data for 55gn spt bullets would the data for a
55gn fmj be any different? Thanks in advance.

Load data is not a recipe, it is only a guideline and you will never be able to match published load data components exactly, never.

It is safe to load same weight bullets of similar design and construction as long as you follow the number one rule of safe handloading. Start Low and Work Up.

SwampDonkey 07-24-2012 11:15 AM

Thanks everyone.

billt 07-24-2012 01:34 PM

A lot of manuals like Lyman for example, list multiple bullets from different manufacturers of the same weight with identical powder charge data. This in itself is not "dangerous", but the best method is to start 5% to 7% below max. with this type of data, then work up, giving yourself a slightly bigger "margin" of comfort. I've never had any issues using data like this, but now I rarely do because I'm somewhat of a loading manual whore. I have several dozen that I've collected over the years. So when in doubt I'll usually cross reference data to see if it's falling into the same parameters of charge weight.

The bottom line is I would have zero problem using the data you've mentioned. The differences in pressure you might encounter will not push anything into the danger zone. This is especially true if it's a newer manual. Most all of them have reduced everything because of the liability issue, along with the fact this nation has become lawyer and sue crazy. The results are softer loads in newer manuals across the board, regardless of caliber.