Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Load Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 02:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Load Help

I have just gotten my reloading bench finished and have everything set up for reloading my .40. The only thing I dont have is primers and powder as they are hard to find in my area right now. The bullets I have are 165 gr rainer plated bullets. I understand that I should use lead load data. I cannot find load data for 165 lead bullets. I am just going to be loading a plinking round. my question is if i could just use jacketed load data if i am just loading light? I would like to use a common powder like accurate 2, bullseye, power pistol, unique or red dot. would any of these of these powders work for a light plinking round? also should i just use the starting grains in my reloading book for the 165 gr jacketed? would cci 500 small pistol primers be a good choice for what im doing? if anyone has any good plinking loads they have please share. thank you for the help and sorry for the newbie questions!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Where are you? I have the Lyman Lead book and it has 165gr. All of those powders will work and the faster powder will load more rounds. Bullseye is the fastest of what you've listed. AA#2 would be my choice.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 AM   #3

i am in washington. one of things i still dont understand is how you know how fast burning each powder is? is there a list from light fastest to slowest or something. thanks

Old 01-03-2014, 03:22 AM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Do you have a reloading manual?? If you do, I'm betting it hasnt been read. If you dont have at least 1, get 1 and read it. Im not trying to be an ass, just trying to help you cover yours.
There are powder burn charts available. All my Lyman manuals have the chart printed in them. Who woulda thought?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:28 AM   #5

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Do you understand the significance of burning rates?

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19839 Times on 11263 Posts
Likes Given: 50014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnel74 View Post
i am in washington. one of things i still dont understand is how you know how fast burning each powder is? is there a list from light fastest to slowest or something. thanks
buy the book, The ABCs Of Reloading and read it several times before even attempting to reload anything.

get yourself a couple of load data books, not just one. also check out the powder websites as they update load data on them all the time.

load data for lead bullets is different from jacketed bullets. do not stray or try and experiment in an area you shouldn't be. there are reasons for doing things a certain way. to keep you safe and from blowing up your guns.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Washington the state, district or city in Illinois? If the third, I can help you out.

Reloading manuals have burn rates in them. Also, the less powder it takes to make a load the faster the powder is. Generally when you look up a load the fastest powder is at the top and it works its way slower the further down the list you go. Spend the $30 and go get the Lyman 49th book.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #8

yes i have a reloading manual and have read it several times and do understand the significance of the burning rate. its just with all the different powders there are i dont know which ones are faster burning than others and my manual lists the load data in order o highest velocity to lowest velocity. can i assume that those loads are basically in order of fastest burning to slowest. ive done aclot of research to reload safely but i just wanted some clarfication. i am in washington the state. i will try to find a reloading manual with the right data in it

Last edited by tnel74; 01-03-2014 at 04:14 AM.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Most of the books that I have list a powder and then a min load and max load. Each is listed with a velocity. My manuals start with the fastest burning and go down the list to the slowest powder. It is not always the best idea to always go for the fastest or slowest powder. You need to decide what kind of recoil you want in your loads. And of course the starting load for one powder might not work in your gun because it might not be powerful enough to operate the gun but another powder will.

I like to photocopy the powders that are suitable for a caliber that I'm trying to find a powder for and then go looking for powder. The powder is out there and so are primers. You might not be able to get the exact powder that you want every time but as a new reloader you haven't developed a preference anyway. Hit up some smaller shops and ask if they have powder. Some shops that I've been in keep their powder in the back and you might not even know they carry powder if you don't ask.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:01 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

OK, 1st. It is called RELATIVE burn rate as it is not a scale. It simply lists the currently available powders if order from fastest to slowest. NOTHING in this can be used to develop a load, just select a powder. Bullseye is pretty much the fastest. Red Dot is fast, but not as fast. Green Dot is slower still, and the list goes on.

For general purpose cast bullet loads in .40 S&W I have used Red Dot and W-231. Both are acceptable.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball