Load data manuals
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Load data manuals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Load data manuals

Is it just me, or do suggested loads in the current published manuals keep going down more and more every time they come out with a new manual?

I managed to find some older manuals online, at Castpics.com, and compared them to "today's" published data, and it seems like the data just keeps dropping each issue.

I understand that these guys have to publish data that will be safe in any potential firearm, and I understand they have a bevy of liability lawyers making sure they do so.

I ask, because I am wondering it the loads I am using based on the current data seem really light (I am starting at the low end) and am wondering it some of the failure to feed issues might be the fact that the loads for my XDm .45 might be too light for the spring configuration, and not the fact that I have have OAL too short or too long, etc.

Just wanted y'all's thoughts on this. (wow y'all's is a cool word)

Thanks

Travis'n'Texas

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #2

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

What loads are you using?

If you are starting at the low end and are having cycling issues, bump it up to mid range or higher and see it it clears up.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22191 Times on 12450 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

sometimes load data can change due to different powder composition even in the same type powder. the powders made today can be very different from those even five years ago. so as newer load data books come out they will reflect these changes. always use the most current load data books available. i have several different ones and when one book shows a powder charge different than another, i start with the lowest one first then work up slowly as needed.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7037 Times on 3893 Posts
Likes Given: 6770

Maximum loads go down every time a new class graduates from law school.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #5

Liked 2984 Times on 1348 Posts
Likes Given: 2811

I've got the last 3 Lyman editions and nothing has changed much in them. Some new powders and cartridges added that's all I see different.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #6

Liked 796 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 245

the loads listed can be changed to fit your needs and your gun. many reloaders have done their "own" loads. the listed loads are just their suggested loads. Nothing is stopping you from loading hotter or milder.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

"wow y'all's is a cool word"

Off topic, and not that it matters much, but true Southern "yawl" is a single word. It's not a compound word; "you all" or "y'all" is iggerant yankee spelling.

All yawl have good day now, ya hear?

Old 05-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
"wow y'all's is a cool word"

Off topic, and not that it matters much, but true Southern "yawl" is a single word. It's not a compound word; "you all" or "y'all" is iggerant yankee spelling.

All yawl have good day now, ya hear?
I was commenting on the fact it has two apostrophes. I'm not southern. I was born and raised in Texas! Now my mom and wife, on the other hand, are southern (Alabama, Mississippi), but my dad's a coon ass (N'awlins)!

Travis'n'Texas

Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6472 Times on 3438 Posts
Likes Given: 483

The reason load data can change is because often the test barrel or gun used changes. Always note what length barrel and type of action used to get the results printed.

One year it may be a 28inch barrel the next a 20. Velocities change greatly with barrel length.

If a load was done with a 16inch barrel and your using a 24inch you DO NOT want to start out out with max loads.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 05-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #10

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I have Lyman, Hornady and Nosler, the Lyman loads will show a little more powder in some recipes. I like the Nosler info the best for load data and COL but the Hornady has the latest information on 6.8 spc loads and new powders. I recently bought some Varmit powder and have good luck with it from the Alliant web site recipe. I will be checking the new manuals for the latest info on powders and bullets.

Also Nosler and Hornady both have service rifle data loads for heavier bullets.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin