Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > load data for 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #51
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7653 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9865

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
ya I know u always got to check your self. I'm going to put a shelf above my bench for my powder.

So whats a good all around book to get Started with I've been told to look at the Lee's load manual and nosler master manual cuz I plan on use nosler alot
I usually go to the bullet manufacturer's load data first, then compare it to the powder manufacturer. I use Lees as a backup reference or as the first reference when loading cast bullets. Once I decide which one I am going to use I will put the others away.

I have a dozen or more load manuals.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

I usually go to the bullet manufacturer's load data first, then compare it to the powder manufacturer. I use Lees as a backup reference or as the first reference when loading cast bullets. Once I decide which one I am going to use I will put the others away.

I have a dozen or more load manuals.
Lol wow that's a lot. so is there a book that would have a good amount of data for multiple brand and types of bullets or is it best to get a book for each brand of bullet u want to shoot?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #53

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Quote:
Lol wow that's a lot. so is there a book that would have a good amount of data for multiple brand and types of bullets or is it best to get a book for each brand of bullet u want to shoot?
Go online.. Many powder and bullet manufactures have websites with load data.. even if you dont see something listed or have a question Call or email the company, They dont want you to blow yourself up and are very helpful.. Ive done this looking for loads for 7.7 Jap, and .30 US..

Now my question... Anybody have data to replicate military M2 Ball? My '03 is a tack driver with it and I see no reason to change...

Old 03-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez

Go online.. Many powder and bullet manufactures have websites with load data.. even if you dont see something listed or have a question Call or email the company, They dont want you to blow yourself up and are very helpful.. Ive done this looking for loads for 7.7 Jap, and .30 US..

Now my question... Anybody have data to replicate military M2 Ball? My '03 is a tack driver with it and I see no reason to change...
I have been looking at handloads. Com think that's the name of it and it as a lot loads for different calibers wish I had a printer.to print them off made u can find your data there

Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #55
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19459 Times on 11057 Posts
Likes Given: 49066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post

trez, M2 Ball ammo is if i'm not mistaken, 168gr FMJ bullet. and if i remember correctly, they used a lot of Winchester type powders for their loads. this might be something to get you in the direction you're wanting.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #56

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been reloading for 4 decades. Now you can get good data right from the powder manufacturer on line for free. Info on techniques what to look for as far as pressure signs is best found in manuals. As for 06 be careful with M1 Garands and slow powders. It's not recomended. 4895 and up works well. I've also used BLC2 and Accurate 2520 with very good results in my M1. Also use military brass and reduce your loads. The brass is heavier and has less capacity. You should research this before you load for an M1.

spif

Old 03-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by spif
I've been reloading for 4 decades. Now you can get good data right from the powder manufacturer on line for free. Info on techniques what to look for as far as pressure signs is best found in manuals. As for 06 be careful with M1 Garands and slow powders. It's not recomended. 4895 and up works well. I've also used BLC2 and Accurate 2520 with very good results in my M1. Also use military brass and reduce your loads. The brass is heavier and has less capacity. You should research this before you load for an M1.

spif
I wish I had a m1 lol

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 03-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #58

Default 30-06 Reloads

I suggest you get a good reloading manual and find the right one for your rifle. Load 8 or 10 of 3 different powder charges a half grain apart of both bullet weights. You will find one of them will shoot better than the other two. That way you know what works for you. I recommend you never use someone elses load data. Its safer.

Retired USAF and postal. NRA Life member. Handloader since 1960. 10 years Deputy.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRIFLE
I suggest you get a good reloading manual and find the right one for your rifle. Load 8 or 19 of 3 different powder charges a half grain apart of both bullet weights. You will find one of them will shoot better than the other two. That way you know what works for you. I recommend you never use someone elses load data. Its safer.
I know it but I wanted to get a ballpark of what other have used with success

Old 03-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #60
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1077 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
I know it but I wanted to get a ballpark of what other have used with success

I would suggest not to try what works for another gun,it may work just fine or it could blow up you and your rifle.
The way I have always done my test loads,is to start at the bottom of the recommended charge,and work my way up at 1/2 grain units.
Once you find a load/loads that shoot good,then you can start fine tuning the load to your gun.
I always load up 3 bullets for each powder charge.If it doesn't shoot good with 3,it is just wasting supplies shooting more.

Some rifles shoot better at the lower end of the powder range,others in the middle,and others like the hot charges.
Find out what your rifle likes,and don't trust what someone else shoots in their guns.