Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Load Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Default Load Cards

I was sitting here today making up new set of load cards for my reloads. How many people use them? For me these cards are a life saver. I am always tinkering with my loads trying to squeeze the last tenth of an inch or less out of them. I like to have the following information on them
1. Caliber
2. Bullet
3. Bullet weight
4. Powder
5. Powder charge
6. date loaded
7. OAL
8. Primer
9. Case
10. Weather condition (When shot)
11. amount loaded
12. Group size
13. velocity (From chronograph)

I will print my load cards off on to perforated business card paper so they can fit nicely into my ammo boxes. Once I fill them all out I will take and staple them to my target and put them all in a specific book for that caliber. I like to use 1" or 1.5" 3 ring binders for each caliber i load for. I find that this allows me to a. brag about how good my gun shoots. and b. have a quick reference of what loads to use or not. I will load differently for winter time than I will for spring and summer.

I got this from my grandfather and father who used small books to keep track of the loads each rifle liked best. My grandfather had a great set up his reloading bench was in the same room as his shooting bench he would load five and shoot them then check the target and make adjustments in the loads. My father still has all of his dads load books from the years.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #2

I just loaded my first rounds two days ago. I recorded the same info as you aside from velocity since I don't have a chronograph yet. Same exact situation, my dad and grandfather had small hardcover green note books that they recorded all their loads in. I just write mine on the target if it's going to be kept and the load data (primer, case, bullet, powder, charge, date loaded) on a sticker that goes on the box, then in a book with comments. I guess I am doing everything in triplicate between the target, box and log, but I have nothing better to do. I found a great load for my .308. 45 grains of IMR 3031 with a 110 grain Hornady bullet. Took me about 4 hours to load 12 rounds each of three different powder charges. Finally got a ridiculously small group with 45 grains. I thought I was doing okay 'till I found one of my grandfather's note books yesterday at my dad's house and gee, he used that same exact load... 30 years ago. Go figure.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I was sitting here today making up new set of load cards for my reloads. How many people use them? For me these cards are a life saver. I am always tinkering with my loads trying to squeeze the last tenth of an inch or less out of them. I like to have the following information on them
1. Caliber
2. Bullet
3. Bullet weight
4. Powder
5. Powder charge
6. date loaded
7. OAL
8. Primer
9. Case
10. Weather condition (When shot)
11. amount loaded
12. Group size
13. velocity (From chronograph)

I will print my load cards off on to perforated business card paper so they can fit nicely into my ammo boxes. Once I fill them all out I will take and staple them to my target and put them all in a specific book for that caliber. I like to use 1" or 1.5" 3 ring binders for each caliber i load for. I find that this allows me to a. brag about how good my gun shoots. and b. have a quick reference of what loads to use or not. I will load differently for winter time than I will for spring and summer.

I got this from my grandfather and father who used small books to keep track of the loads each rifle liked best. My grandfather had a great set up his reloading bench was in the same room as his shooting bench he would load five and shoot them then check the target and make adjustments in the loads. My father still has all of his dads load books from the years.
I need to get organized like you! My caseguard reloading boxes are littered with the tiny Hornady, Speer, and Sierra data sheets they include with their bullets. I also indicate the number of reloads on each sheet.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"