Limits on what caliber/ammo type a gun can fire? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Limits on what caliber/ammo type a gun can fire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 06:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by generic View Post
Wow, thanks guys! Though I kinda feel like I fell into the deep end; I had no idea there were so many kinds of ammo! But I'll certainly make sure I have enough bullets of the correct type. I do happen to like my fingers and eyes...

@noyes: Thanks for the link! I'll definitely be saving this for reference later.

@cpttango30: So there are different chamber lengths too? Is that only for shotguns, or do rifles and handguns also have different chamber lengths?

@CA357: What's different about .44 Magnum shells that they won't work in a .44 Special?

As a general question, does anyone know of a good site that shows basic comparison information on the different ammo types? I'm really not sure what the difference is between a .44 Magnum vs. a .44 Special, or a .45 Long Colt vs. a regular .45, or like cpttango30 said with 243, 7mm-08, 260 rem cartridges being based on a 308 win case...
As many have already pointed out, a gun is chambered for a specific cartridge. Caliber is not the only determinant as it refers only to the diameter of the bullet at a specific point where it joins the casing. Other variables like powder loads, cartridge length, shoulder, etc will differentiate cartridges of the same caliber. For example a .45 ACP, .45 GAP and .45 Long Colt are the same caliber yet are not interchangeable.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

"Knew one guy that bought a .50 cal muzzle loader (black powder, loose powder and round lead ball type of gun) and was complaining about the cost of ammo for it. Showed me the 20 rounds of .50 Browning Machine Gun ammo he had just bought. Intended for a modern 30 lb sniper rifle. $80 of the wrong ammo. "

On one hand that is really scary. On the other, it is freaking funny as he!!. Hopefully no one else is around when he tries to get the BMG ammo to force fit in the smoke pole.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I have a VERY modest cartridge collection of about 1,100 different cartridges, Many are obsolete- but there are also many I do not have. Site you can learn about them? Well, I have about 6 reference books I use, most about an inch thick. Can be a field of study in itself- I am still learning.

The first key is READING WHAT IS ON THE FLIPPING GUN ! Most of us being male, we have a really hard time reading and following instructions. Will a 12 g 3 inch magnum shell chamber in a 2 3/4 gun? Most will. Are they safe to shoot? No, because when a shotshell fires, it opens OUT- and will block part of the bore if it is too long, giving really high pressures. Which is why some nice guy marked the barrel with "2 3/4". And there are some OLD shotguns that fired 2.5, 2 5/8ths, 2 9/16ths, etc.

Second Key- Learn about the guns you have- and ask questions. (I usually don't bite) If what you have is a 45 auto and a 357 revolver, worry about THOSE first- and don't worry about difference between a 38-40 and a 44-40. But DO learn about .45 Colt vs .45 ACP. Along the way, you will learn the difference between caliber and gauge, why some cartridges have a hyphen in the name, like 30-30, and some have an x- like 7.62x39, and some are Specials, some ACPs, some Express, some Magnums, some short, some Long, and some have a makers name- like .38 S&W, or .32 Colt New Police.

Last item- do not assume. While a .357 Magnum CAN safely fire .38 Special, it cannot fire .38 S&W (too fat) But a .22 Magnum cannot fire .22LR (too skinny) but most 22 LR guns CAN safely shoot 22 Shorts. Do not assume "If it fits, it's fine." An old .38 Auto pistol will happily chamber .38 Super ammo- because they are exactly the same size. But a Super can blow a .38 Auto apart- lot more power. Knew one guy that bought a .50 cal muzzle loader (black powder, loose powder and round lead ball type of gun) and was complaining about the cost of ammo for it. Showed me the 20 rounds of .50 Browning Machine Gun ammo he had just bought. Intended for a modern 30 lb sniper rifle. $80 of the wrong ammo.

Just for grins, see if you can lay hands on a copy of Cartridges of the World. Available in paperback, good basic listing of rifle, pistol and shotgun ammo. But still does not show ALL of them!
Thanks for the tips! You're right, I need to reign in the enthusiasm and start learning based on what I have (or in my case, intend to get); it's hard to get in clear thinking through the male bravado sometimes. :P I think I will see if I can find a copy of that Cartridges of the World book too.

Comments are purely my opinion unless otherwise stated.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
In metallic cartridges especially handguns, Magnum generally means more powerful than the regular load. The regular load is often called "Special". The .44 Special came first. Handloading experimenters like Elmer Keith loaded the ammo to higher and higher power until they exceeded the strength of some of the guns chambered in that caliber. They found that the Smith and Wesson revolvers would safely contain higher powered ammo than top break (Webley or Schofield type) revolvers. To market the higher powered ammo the ammo makers worked together with the gun makers and created a new cartridge that was longer so I could not be chambered in the older weaker guns. They called the new cartridges "Magnum"
Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining it to me!

Old 12-26-2009, 02:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Here is a page that is very good for seeing what different cartridges look like. Now don't get over loaded with info here their are an awful lot of them on this page. This is just rifle ammo.
Cartridge Drawings

Shotguns are the only ones with different cartridge lengths.

This is a great sight to learn a little about the different cartridges and where they came from.
Welcome to The Reload Bench

If you want a book look for Cartridges of the World. Amazon.com: Cartridges of the World: A Complete and Illustrated Reference for Over 1500 Cartridges (9780896899360): Frank C. Barnes, Holt Bodinson: Books
Thanks for the links! And two recommendations for Cartridges of the World now (though I guess this was first, I've been reading the posts in reverse order). I'll definitely have to see if I can pick it up.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:14 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Generic, Robo explained the .44 Special/.44 Magnum situation, so I won't weigh in as it would be redundant.

Read, stay safe and enjoy yourself. If you haven't had a safety course, get a Handgun Safety Course under your belt. You'll be safe, more knowledgeable and you will enjoy shooting that much more.

It's a blast! (Pun intended)

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #17

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

The EEA Witness P use to come in a 4 caliber conversion package. 9mm, .38 super, .40 S&W, and .45acp. 4 barrels, 2 slides, 1 Frame. Retail was about $1100.00.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #18

Default By to way....

I have T/C G2 and Dan Wesson .357 Rem.Maximum/SuperMag. I can use .38 Spl and .357 Mag cartridges too. There is much better way, I handload reduced loads to Rem.Maximum cases.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1) A .357 Magnum will shoot 38/357.

2) A .44 Magnum will shoot 44 special/44 Magnum.

My two favorites. There's quite a variety of loads and bullet types.

OC

"magbum"

Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #20

Default Too short case, no thank please.

Mr OC.357, I don´t like bullet jumping. It will to happen when the case is shorter than the case of original caliber.