Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Liberty Civil Defense 9mm 50 Grain +P Lead Free Hollow Point Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 481

Default Liberty Civil Defense 9mm 50 Grain +P Lead Free Hollow Point Ammo

Liberty Civil Defense offers this ammo it is reasonably priced ($14 for 20). Has any tried this ammo?

With comparable velocity to an FN 5.7x28mm, the Liberty Civil Defense ammo is a 50 grain, lead-free, monolithic hollow point round that generates muzzle velocity of greater than 2000 feet per second for your 9MM. This round has significantly increased accuracy and penetration with reduced recoil vs traditional 9MM hollow point ammunition.This round has unparalleled stopping power and terminal effects. Designed for use with firearms rated for +P ammunition.
See the Liberty Civil Defense 9MM ballistics test here.
SPECIFICATIONS:

Manufacturer:
Liberty Item #: LIBERTY9 Category:
AMMO CENTERFIRE Caliber:
9mm Bullet Type:
Hollow Point Bullet Weight:
50 Gr Muzzle Energy:
444 ft lbs Muzzle Velocity:
2000 plus fps Rounds per Box:
20 Rounds per Box

I found some tests on youtube. This ammo lacks penetration. Instead of expanding the bullet fragments. If the bullet expanded instead of fragmenting Liberty Civil Defense might be on to something.

http://youtu.be/5ANbs9bCC_A

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-30-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Dramatic expansion and adequate penetration are mutually exclusive terms, especially in 9mm. Selling hype. Stick to a good bullet, Speer Gold Dot!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 03-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Dramatic expansion and adequate penetration are mutually exclusive terms, especially in 9mm. Selling hype. Stick to a good bullet, Speer Gold Dot!
Gold Dots are what I am shooting now. At $30 for 50 rounds it is hard to find a better bullet for the price. I am exploring right now because I need to order some HP ammo. It looks like I will be ordering more Gold Dot ammo.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:05 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I chrono'd the 9mm rounds at 2180 fps out of my CZ P01. Incredible velocity from a 9mm handgun. They are very accurate bullets. I had to put down an injured deer after its leg was broken when hit by a car. One shot to the head and the deer dropped instantly without so much as a leg twitch. I've put down a lot of deer and I've only seen that kind of incapacitation from a 3" 12 guage 00 buck or a slug.

I know everyone says they are hype but I'd like to see more data before writing them off.

We plan on testing them on ballistic vests this spring. It will be interesting to see if they can defeat a level 3 vest.

Last edited by Max-Q; 03-31-2014 at 04:08 AM.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:38 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Stuff might be ok, but 50 grains just seems way too light for my liking, plus the fact that they named their ammo after a video game franchise doesn't help either.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 03-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #6

Liked 2228 Times on 1004 Posts
Likes Given: 2165

Why would you want to turn your 9mm into a 22 mag.?

Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Q View Post
I chrono'd the 9mm rounds at 2180 fps out of my CZ P01. Incredible velocity from a 9mm handgun. They are very accurate bullets. I had to put down an injured deer after its leg was broken when hit by a car. One shot to the head and the deer dropped instantly without so much as a leg twitch. I've put down a lot of deer and I've only seen that kind of incapacitation from a 3" 12 guage 00 buck or a slug.

I know everyone says they are hype but I'd like to see more data before writing them off.

We plan on testing them on ballistic vests this spring. It will be interesting to see if they can defeat a level 3 vest.
I saw enough data when the 50 gr bullet fragmented. They need to figure out how to keep the bullet together. A federal Hi Shok with a +P load has a similar would channel with adequate penetration but the Federals cost $22 for 50.

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-31-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Inadequate penetration. You would be better off using a 115 grain fmj or even a 380acp at 90grain fmj. Least you would get a full 14"

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #9

Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

I have used them. I bought into the hype. I carried them for a bit, and then i finally went to the range with them (I know, that order is supposed to be reversed). They are CRAP! Recoil was worse, by far in my LC9 than when I shot HSTs. WORSE recoil, not lighter as they claim. Also, the round was not nearly as accurate as an HST. I'm no sharp shooter, but I'm fairly accurate and confident in my ability to keep a small grouping at 10 yards. Not with these things. Holy Crap! Don't get me wrong, I don't want to get shot by one of these, but then again, I don't want to get hit with a stick either...

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com