Let's Talk Reloading the 8mm (7.92) Mauser...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Let's Talk Reloading the 8mm (7.92) Mauser...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Let's Talk Reloading the 8mm (7.92) Mauser...

Hello,

I just ordered 20 pieces of brass, 50 200 grain 0.318" soft point bullets, and dies for my new, 119-year-old Gewehr 88.

From what I gather on numerous boards, since mine is "S" marked, it can theoretically take 0.323" bullets, but because it slugs to 0.316" or so, I'm not going to risk it.

Additionally, I've read that the locking lugs and overall steel aren't as strong as the later Mauser, so it needs to be loaded back, 2000fps to 2500fps max.

In looking at the data on Hodgdon's website, it looks like two of my favorite powders, Varget and H4895, are used on both the 8mm Mauser and the 7.62x54R, so one of the two make logistic sense for me to use.

Looks like my shell holder for my .45acp will work just fine on the Mauser round, as well.

So, recipes folks? Or do you just use the starting loads?

I can't wait to take a few shots from this ol' warhorse!

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Steve Ricciardelli's loading pages are often a good place to start.

318_1

His heaviest load goes to 196 grain, but this should be close enough - back off ten percent beginning, and look for the usual pressure signs.
What I do, rather than immediately trust an 'internet load', use your Google-Fu and check various other loading data sites for the same caliber loads.
Cross-check to make sure you aren't using a 'hot' load!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #3

Thanks Gents.

Bigdog, I'm definitely looking there!

Now, the data I've found on the 8x57j round suggests that the maximum pressure should be 37,500 CUP. According to Hodgdon, the starting loads for the 8x57JS (Mauser) round are right below that, but they also use 0.323" bullets as opposed to the 0.318" bullet of the 8x57j.

Should I start at 10% below their stated minimum (I've decided to use Varget) and work my way up, using the minimum as maximum? Or would this be a bad idea?

Thanks,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 08-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The basic load data should be okay - the thing we need to watch is the larger bullet in the smaller bore would increase pressures. The difference in bullet diameter should not affect the data if you are using the smaller bullet. The difference is negligible - if the bullet WEIGHT is different, that is a different matter!
This is like loading the 7.62X54R with a .308 vs. a.312 bullet - same data. We just keep the bullet diameter matched to the bore size.
If your bore really IS the later "S" bore, the worst you will see is a wider group when shot.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #5

Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Begin w/ starting loads. I use IMR4320 for 8x57IS(JS). Very stable powder, not affected by temperature.
If your load is to light, That could give you pressure spikes. Cartridges of the world has both .318 and .323 together in the U.S. section, but seperate in the european section.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #6

Hello,

I decided to go with a powder I know -- and Trail Boss was out, anyway.

Thus far I've fired two rounds. Both were 0.318" 200grn JSP over 40.5grns of Varget. That's a starting load for the 7,9x57js, but right in the middle of the pressure curve for the j. Also got a pamphlet with about all the loads out there for the j and js.

Now,the first round was fired remotely from behind ballistic glass as suggested by JayPee. I opened the breech, inspected the cartridge, bolt, etc for damage. Everything looked perfect, so I fired the next one manually into a dead tree about 25 or 30 yards distant.

It went right where i wanted, but a couple inches high.

I'm pretty sure the guy who had this before me had been running surplus (eek) through it as evidenced by the bore's condition. If that's the case, this old warhorse is getting a break.

Range report to follow after I test the cycling!

Regards,

Josh