Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Let's talk about .40 S&W!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Let's talk about .40 S&W!

My entire life I have carried a Glock 19, which as you know is 9MM. I have shot pretty much every caliber out there, but only carried the 19. In the future I will be carrying a Glock 27, .40 S&W. For the range I am always going to shoot the cheapest stuff (unless someone has a VERY good argument for spending more money). My 9MM has always ate whatever I give it, I don't expect the 27 to be any different.

My question is, what do you .40 guys carry for home / every day carry protection, and why? In 9MM I used to carry Remington Home Protection hollow points, then I went to Federal. In my experience the 19 was better with Federal, and that is of course the first one I am looking at now.

So please, educate me as much as possible, this is my new every day gun. I added the pinky extension and I am in love lol

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19864 Times on 11282 Posts
Likes Given: 50066

personally, i like the 40, and have had one in some pistol for many years. my current 40 caliber pistol is an XDm40 and so far is my favorite of any i have owned or shot. for SD ammo i use 155 gr Federal Classic JHP.

one complaint i hear about the 40 is the sharp recoil. personally, it doesn't bother me, but is a little snappier than the 9mm or even the 45. even my wife doesn't have any problems shooting the 40 or even the 45 and she likes to shoot both. now the snappier recoil can be felt more in a compact pistol, but this is true of most any caliber in a compact pistol.

the biggest drawback i have with the 40 is price of the ammo. because of this to get more shooting practrice, i have been giving some thought into adding it into the rest of the others i already reload for.

some will argue that a 40 is an answer to which there is not a problem, but IMO, the 40 is a compromise caliber and a good addition to other calibers you may own. i like that the 40 is a little more powerful than the 9mm, but not quite as the 45, but has more magazine capacity than the 45, but not as much as the 9mm. these are my reasons for owning a 40 caliber. but, as i said, personally i like the 40 so, for me i have faith in it's ability to perform.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

This should show you most of the common defensive ammo and there expansion qualities. yes water is different than flesh but it gives you a good idea of their performance.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/comparisons-expanded-hollow-point-rounds-various-manufacturers-66280/

Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The price of the .40 here is great. For Winchester WB, 100ct it is $14.99 which is $5 less than 9mm WB. I find the gun to be very smooth, which I didn't quite expect in such a small frame. The pinky extension was absolutely needed though, I couldn't get a good group without it. I also modified the trigger guard to add a bit to the grip (move my hand up a hair.). Always loved my 26, but I think this is my new favorite.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

100 rounds or wwb for 14.99 ??? where is it at, I can barely reload it for that.. I want to order some.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Zimmerman had a 9mm and it took one shot, a 40 caliber will do the same. Load your 9mm with Corbon: 9mm Luger +P 125 grain 1250/434 JHP #SD09125-20 and all that you come in contact with will go down.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

I carry a 40 XD with hydro shoks i think hydr shoks are the best because ive been shot by one i was lucky to live almost died several times. I was 250+ pounds and one round to the gut put me on my arse

Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
This should show you most of the common defensive ammo and there expansion qualities. yes water is different than flesh but it gives you a good idea of their performance.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/comparisons-expanded-hollow-point-rounds-various-manufacturers-66280/
Thank you for this, I will take a look.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
Zimmerman had a 9mm and it took one shot, a 40 caliber will do the same. Load your 9mm with Corbon: 9mm Luger +P 125 grain 1250/434 JHP #SD09125-20 and all that you come in contact with will go down.
I already have a setup for 9MM, I'm asking specifically about my new .40

Old 06-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
100 rounds or wwb for 14.99 ??? where is it at, I can barely reload it for that.. I want to order some.
My local Walmart. Has been that way for months. They sell out FAST. Since I started looking for it you pretty much have to be there on stocking day and hang out. You can see the regulars pretending to read hunting magazines and stuff watching for the guy to begin stocking that spot. Second he does they are on him. Last time I was there he kind of looked around and say "guys .40 is up" lol.