Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lets hear some techniques for finding c.o.a.l

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Lets hear some techniques for finding c.o.a.l

I've heard several different ways. One using a dowl rod to the face of the bolt, put a mark then drop a bullet into the chamber while using a dowl to push the bullet to the lands then insert dowl down barrel to tip of bullet. Sounds feasible. Problem is the ogive of bullet. I guess if your using the same brand of bullet they will be pretty close. I've heard of the dummy bullet and sharpie trick. Them just breaking down and getting the chamber gauge and comparoterand bullet comparator

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I was trying to add till my phone jacked up that I'm loading for my Remi 700 .308. Also opinions on full length resizing or neck sizing for bolt guns. Thx in advance

Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

I like neck siZing for bolt guns. Just my personal preference, I can't prove it's better.

An easy way to find a useablw COAL is to put a factory rounf of the same bullet weight in the seating die, and slowly turn the seater stem down until the seater touches.

A good Sinclair measuring tool is better, but the factory round works pretty well.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah that's the technique I use for my pistol loads. I'm looking to find the lands so I can work back to find the sweet spot

Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I neck size only in all of my bottleneck cartridges; lengthens the case life.

I seat all my bullets to the cannelure, or, (if no cannelure,) I seat them close to, (if not at,) the suggested length in my reloading manual.

Works for me... today's shot;

Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinoif3 View Post
...I'm looking to find the lands...
I partially neck size a case as to snugly hold a bullet from gravity but can be pushed in easily. Insert a bullet so it sticks out a good deal. Chamber that round then eject it as to not let it fall; measure the COL. Repeat the chambering process as to make sure that length is correct.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I've heard of that method. Seems pretty fool proof. Someone told me to that I should full length size new brass or brass that came from a different rifle. Then once it's fired from your rifle and has expanded to the chamber to neck size from there on out. That method for bolt guns only. Seems to make sense for building a round just for your rifle.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #8

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Then once it's fired from your rifle and has expanded to the chamber to neck size from there on out. That method for bolt guns only. Seems to make sense for building a round just for your rifle.
True, but with each firing the brass case continues to grow, so the way the neck sized brass fits into the chamber will be different with each consecutive loading. As the brass continues to grow at some point you will have to FL size and bump the shoulder back. Depending on the rifle and the load that may come after only a couple firings or it may take many firings.

This is how Nosler recommends finding your specific OAL.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=97328&highlight=coal

Me, I use the Hornady/Stoney Point Gauge.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
I partially neck size a case as to snugly hold a bullet from gravity but can be pushed in easily. Insert a bullet so it sticks out a good deal. Chamber that round then eject it as to not let it fall; measure the COL. Repeat the chambering process as to make sure that length is correct.
That is exactly how I do It. A couple of times to verify and that method works better than any gauge you can buy. IMO After I get the measurement I shorten up by .030 and start working it.

Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt, SR40, SR9c, 22/45, 10-22, 77MKII, PT 1911

Old 09-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Awesome. I've heard that .010 is the closet you wanna be to the lands. Correct? So if I start at .030 and go in increments of 5 I should be tracking. Also has anyone ran into not being able to use the magazine when loaded out farther than manual col?