Less than lethal ammo?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Less than lethal ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Less than lethal ammo?

Has anyone had any experience with the "less than lethal" ammo? I just read a brief article on this site and was not aware of it for civilian CC. Usually I carry an XDm .40/3.8, sometimes a "Snubby". Opinions or thoughts anyone?

Less-Lethal-Rounds-101

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2769 Times on 1447 Posts
Likes Given: 242

First, it is NOT "less than lethal" it is "less lethal". It is still potentially lethal, just "less" likely to kill or cause serious bodily injury. Less than lethal is a term used to describe things like TASERs and Pepper spray

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5820 Times on 3292 Posts
Likes Given: 5291

Since you really should use your weapon ONLY to stop real and immediate threats on your life or the life of another innocent, I would think you would want the most lethal round made. Just MHO!

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 12-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 379

my thinking on this topic of less than lethal bs is it is bs. if you have someone coming after you and you choose to use potentially lethal force (mace pepper spray stun gun rubber bullets) you obviously werent in danger enough to use a weapon in the first place. any weapon should, in my estimation, only be used when there is threat of imminent serious bodily harm or death.

police have a need for less lethal options, civilians should only be using weapons as a last resort. police have a long list of levels of force to use in a given situation from simply detaining a person by verbal request which is force to using machine guns and everything in between.

civilians only have two states. am i in danger and can escape safely?? or do i need to shoot this guy to be safe. we arent stopping drunks or seperating bickering couples or telling people to stop the loud music its not our job. we have no need for less lethal weapons that are still lethal.

for civilians raising a fist against another person is often considered use of deadly force. i just think that if you arm yourself with something other than real guns and real bullets you open yourself to lawsuits after the fact. why didnt you use the rubber bullet on mustapha?? he was just turning his life around

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2769 Times on 1447 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Exactly Jon. I have a baton, a TASER, pepper spray, some grappling skills and several firearms available to me at all times. I have used all EXCEPT the firearm to end a situation. I do not have the option of just walking away from a fight. I run INTO the fight.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

for SD or even HD uses, less lethal ammo is the wrong choice. civilians are not usually placing themselves in harms way like LEO's are doing everytime they go to work. a civilian using a firearm would be a last resort or emercency situation and not an everyday occurence. a civilian in the unlikely chance of having to use a firearm in defence of themselves or loved ones, needs to end that threat as quickly as possible. a LEO has much more training in the use of less than lethal items and less lethal ammo and knows when they need to use either.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #7

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Less than lethal would be shooting air soft or paintball guns.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If I am wanting to stop a threat why would I take a chance on him/her being able to still advance? I want the to be stopped as in cold!!!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I could not agree more with you all that the "less lethal" just seems wrong headed when faced with a lethal threat. I just find it interesting that there is such a product when most ammo questions seem to focus on 'stopping power", neutralising the threat and the industry puts out something that could give a false sense of security.

I'll stick with the real thing for SD/HD.