Lee's powder through die causing gunpowder build up

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee's powder through die causing gunpowder build up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Lee's powder through die causing gunpowder build up

I am new to reloading and am using the lee powder through expanding die.. I am loading 9mm using power pistol (6g) for 115g FMJ.. I have loaded about 400 rounds this far and shot 75 with no issue but today I have noticed powder was building up in the neck of the die :-( ... I have been carefully measuring each powder charge and now I don't know how much I was losing in the die.. It was about 4g of powder built up on the dies neck.. I reread the dies instruction and it warned that the lubricant causes this issue and to clean it and keep an eye on it.. I don't know how I missed this and I feel stupid now.. What do you guys think..i think I'm gonna shoot it (carefully) cus I have been checking each round visually as well so I don't forget to charge one..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #2

Liked 2756 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2653

Lee has some good products but their powder measure isn't one of them. Just remember if your shooting and it doesn't sound or feel right stop immediately.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:29 AM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Clean your die with a degreaser. your powder thru die should be clean and dry, no lube in it.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill
Clean your die with a degreaser. your powder thru die should be clean and dry, no lube in it.
Thats weird. I bought them brand new from midway and the powder through die has some sort of lubrication on it.. I will clean it as good as I possibly can. I just assumed it was supposed to be like that because this is my first set :-(

Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I like to wipe things down with alcohol. It will degrease and leave no film at all, plus it can be found in almost every home in the country lol

I use it for rinsing the water fro my brass when it comes out of the sonic cleaner so I always have a couple bottles near by in the reloading room.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz
I like to wipe things down with alcohol. It will degrease and leave no film at all, plus it can be found in almost every home in the country lol

I use it for rinsing the water fro my brass when it comes out of the sonic cleaner so I always have a couple bottles near by in the reloading room.
thanks for the tip I will use that