Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee Turret Press Spent Primer Collection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Default Lee Turret Press Spent Primer Collection

I have a Lee four hole turret press. The only thing that I have issue with is the capturing of spent primers. It appears that they are designed to fall into one of two holes in the base of the reloader trapping between the base and the bench. Or bouncing off the base and onto the floor, which doesn't bother me. But to clean out the full base you have remove the reloader from the bench and half of those fall on the floor. Has anyone found a solution for this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

I dont useone of those presses but i do use a shopvac to clean out the catchbin on my rcbs single stage. Might try that with a pointy attachment to get in there tight.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use the same press. I don't really understand how the primers become trapped between the press and the bench. The spent primers fall through the opening in the shell holder and then drop through a tube that has a cap at the end to prevent the primers from falling to the floor.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebramochaman View Post
I use the same press. I don't really understand how the primers become trapped between the press and the bench. The spent primers fall through the opening in the shell holder and then drop through a tube that has a cap at the end to prevent the primers from falling to the floor.
OK, what tube? Mine did not come with a tube or any way to fall through. When attached to the bench the bottom is completely cover so nothing will fall through.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #5

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That is my one and only complaint with any Lee product. I just keep a full size rash can under my press to catch the spent primers.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Your using a Deluxe Turret press,correct?
That is how that particular press is designed.If you want an easy fix,depending on what you reloading bench surface is made out of,you can drill a hole in you work top,and then insert a piece of pipe/tubing up thru the hole,and into the underside opening of the hole in the press that the primers fall into.Then just have a can/bucket/etc. to catch the spent primers.
The Classic Turret lets them fall thru the center of the ram into a plastic tube attached to the bottom of the ram.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

At the bottom of the ram is a flange. Your press should have come with a clear plastic tube that you squeeze over the flange. When you decap the old primer falls through the hollow ram and falls through the tube.
As I write this I see a new reply about the deluxe press. I did not realize the the two presses were that different (mine is the classic turret press).

Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebramochaman
At the bottom of the ram is a flange. Your press should have come with a clear plastic tube that you squeeze over the flange. When you decap the old primer falls through the hollow ram and falls through the tube.
As I write this I see a new reply about the deluxe press. I did not realize the the two presses were that different (mine is the classic turret press).
The deluxe turret dose not have a flange. I looked at mine ( still waiting on my bench to get here). I thought about a hole and PVC tube also.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Sorry for the mis-information. I was just trying to help.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Drill a hole in the bench before mounting the press and find an appropriate cork to stop the hole until ready to empty. Mine is mounted on a 1x6 with a hole and cork and clamped to the bench. Only my Dillon 550 is mounted permantly, the other 6 are clamped.

To catch more primers, I found clear, semi-stiff food packaging, then cut it to fit the spaces between posts and each side of the primer arm. Tape these to the base leaving about 3/4" above the base. Seldom misses a primer now. The open threaded post hole will still drop primers on the floor- just stick a fired 9mm case in it.