Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee reloading equipment, why is it looked down on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 03:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First, I have not used the Lee press. Back in the 70's, I started with the Lee hand set and then got a RCBS. Still have it. Though the years, I have used a variety of Lee products and have been very satisfied. There are many products certain people hate or love. For me they work, period. They may not have the fit, finish or extras others may have, but I will be buying them again if needed. With all firearm related products, there are strong opinions and sometimes unrealistic expectations. The Lee presses are not for high volume or heavy uses like forming large cases or for benchrest shooters but they are great for the normal user.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I baught the Deluxe Lee 4 hole turret and it seems sturdy enough, nothing on it is plasticy except the auto-primer I bought extra. The only problem I've had so far with the press is the primer cup falls out a lot if you move the ram too fast, its an irritating issue but I can deal with that for a press that can put out a good deal of ammo for me. I've only loaded a few 45acp but it seems pretty alright to me. Cant really speak for the long term yet.
I never really like the whole hand-held primer deal, dont really feel like blowing my hand off. I wont be putting more than 50 CCI primers in the auto-prime ro prevent stuff like Tango's experience.

My question is, are the complaints from old versions of presses or something?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:46 AM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I have had trouble with the auto powder feed and the plastic shell feeder broke. other than that all the dies are good i just hand feed the shells.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Not starting a flam war.

But from the time I opened the box to current day my Dillon has not had a single problem. Plus I have a lifetime no BS warranty. Really when Mr. Dillon says no BS he means it. press caught in a fire they will replace it. Press falls out of a chopper they will replace it. You use it as a sledge hammer they will replace it.

My RCBS RS5 press has been through 3 owners and still is going strong. My RCBS Uniflow has been through 3 owners and it is still going strong. I sent the powder measure back to RCBS and they fixed it the only thing not brand new was the casing. They did all that for the cost of shipping it to them.

That right there is why I use Dillon and RCBS.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So what's the next step up from Lee you would recommend for putting out large amounts of pistol ammo and 7.62x39 and .308?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
So what's the next step up from Lee you would recommend for putting out large amounts of pistol ammo and 7.62x39 and .308?
It depends on how much time you want to spend doing the re-loading of "large amounts" of that ammo. If you want lower cost and do not mind slower production, then a basic RCBS starter kit will do it for you. If you want high production with less time involved, then a Dillon 550 would be my recommendation.

Disclaimer: I do not load any rifle rounds in my Dillons, other than .223. I spend so much effort (I am very anal retentive) on case preparation, case cleaning and case trimming that a Dillon would not save me that much time for my many larger bore rifle calibers. I do use my old RL-450 for the .223 mainly because I already had it.

As to Lee, I have been using my original RCBS press and gear since 1976. I have never had any failures other than occasional de-cap pin breakage. And for that I keep 5 - 10 spare pins in my tool box. I gave up on Lee products after my second hand priming tool broke, I repaced it with a RCBS hand primer.

I have had no problems with my Dillon 450 or 550. Dillon sent me free parts when I was refurbishing the 450 after 15 years in storage. They sent me free parts when I converted my 9mm set up from the old 450 to the new 550. I cannot speak highly enough about Dillon's service department.

TXnorton

Old 04-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #17

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I take a you get what you pay for approach when it comes to making live ammunition. And because of that I"m a Dillon fan. I know a few Lee fans and I can't say it's junk. I don't have enough time using their equipment to make that call. But when it comes to making things to achieve a controlled explosion I'm not really all that willing to take chances. I've used Dillon stuff from the beginning. It's always worked. And if I screw up a part I can call them and it's replaced. I use a Square Deal for most all my loading needs. I don't do much long gun reloading so the SD has done me just fine. I do wish they made a 30 carbine die set for it but so far no. I am planning on adding a 650 soon though so it will all be moot at that time.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #18

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
It depends on how much time you want to spend doing the re-loading of "large amounts" of that ammo. If you want lower cost and do not mind slower production, then a basic RCBS starter kit will do it for you. If you want high production with less time involved, then a Dillon 550 would be my recommendation.

Disclaimer: I do not load any rifle rounds in my Dillons, other than .223. I spend so much effort (I am very anal retentive) on case preparation, case cleaning and case trimming that a Dillon would not save me that much time for my many larger bore rifle calibers. I do use my old RL-450 for the .223 mainly because I already had it.

As to Lee, I have been using my original RCBS press and gear since 1976. I have never had any failures other than occasional de-cap pin breakage. And for that I keep 5 - 10 spare pins in my tool box. I gave up on Lee products after my second hand priming tool broke, I repaced it with a RCBS hand primer.

I have had no problems with my Dillon 450 or 550. Dillon sent me free parts when I was refurbishing the 450 after 15 years in storage. They sent me free parts when I converted my 9mm set up from the old 450 to the new 550. I cannot speak highly enough about Dillon's service department.

I agree 100%.

I have my dillon set up for 308 and 30-06 but I use it as a single stage with no powder dispensing by the press. I just got tired of changing dies all the time.

Now with my AR in the heard I may have to step up to loading blasting ammo for her on the dillon.

If all you can afford at the time is a Lee set up them by all means get it. I would rather have some one start reloading and get into it than to think that if i buy a lee everyone will look down on me.

I love my Dillon but I don't drink the blue kool-aid. I understand that Hornady's L-n-L AP is a great press that is built like a tank. Plus you get free bullets when you buy one. Also not everyone can afford to drop aprox $500 just on a press. I got lucky and my Dillon was a birthday present from the wife.

If you don't want the cost of a full progressive then look at a turret press RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Redding all make them.

Never forget that your single stage press will still get plenty of use even though you have a progressive.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #19

Any one have any experience with a Lee 30 carbine die set? Lee’s die set is 30 something dollars and RCBS is 80 something. I will be getting a 30 carbine die set sometime. I would not be using it a lot.

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #20
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1111 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 520

Last Crow.I don't have 30 Carbine dies,but Lee dies are good,as are RCBS,Hornady,Dillon.