Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee reloading equipment, why is it looked down on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Lee reloading equipment, why is it looked down on?

I got into reloading a couple of years ago and as any newlywed, I was on a tight budget. I went for a Lee 4 hole turret so I could load a reasonable amount in a reasonable amount of time. I've loaded thousands of rounds with it, mainly 45 and 38 with only a couple of minor problems that were remedied. So why is Lee looked at so poorly? I know they aren't the best but why the hate? One day I'll step up to something better but for the $130 I spent to get started I think it does well.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I have the lee loader 1000. Has a few quirks and is way bigger than the dillon. My dad had a dillon and i definatly liked it better. Less room taken up on the bench for sure.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Everything that said Lee on it that I owned SUCKED ARES.

I had Lee shell holders none of my brass would fit in them. They fit in RCBS shel holders though.

Had a Universal decaping die it broke after 3 shells not 3 uses but after 3 45acp cases it broke the pin. I didn't hit a berdan primed case either.

I had a lee hand primer again after about 4 cases it snapped in half. I am talking like blew in half in my hand. It was in at least 20 different pieces cost me 96 CCI BR4 primers. No I was not using mil brass with the primer crimp.

My brother had a classic cast press and he went to resize a 222 rem case it snapped in half as well.

After all this I vowed to never purchase another lee product ever again. You can spend slightly more and get much better quality from Lyman stuff.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

See, I haven't had that experience. I've only been loading target pistol loads but I haven't had a single poblem. Don't get me wrong, I won't argue that RCBS or Lyman is nicer or better but to me it's like buying Craftsman vs Snap On hand tools. Craftsman gets the job done but they don't have the finish or the feel that Snap On does.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #5

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
See, I haven't had that experience. I've only been loading target pistol loads but I haven't had a single poblem. Don't get me wrong, I won't argue that RCBS or Lyman is nicer or better but to me it's like buying Craftsman vs Snap On hand tools. Craftsman gets the job done but they don't have the finish or the feel that Snap On does.
It's obvious to me Rusty, if everything is going right while using your Lee, you're doing something wrong!

Glad to be of help.

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lee presses are ok. I'm a Dillon fan, but I also have a Lee Single Stage press.

Here's a picture:

I use it to de-mill all of the mistakes that the Blue machine makes.

Correction: The mistakes that the operator of the Blue machine makes.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
It's obvious to me Rusty, if everything is going right while using your Lee, you're doing something wrong!

Glad to be of help.

cane
Thanks for clearing that up.

I would like to get something better one day, just curious why people are against them. If I had tang's experience I'd swear against them too but I haven't.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default You did well.

Rusty, you got to loading ammo for around $130.00 to start up. This could not be done with one of the big name brand loading co. Lee offers economy built equipment at an economy price. For this reason milions of rounds of ammo have been loaded by people who would not have loaded at all if they only had the premium (Hi $) equipment to choose from.
Most of us do not hate Lee tools. Most of us do not like Lee's quality, two year warranty, overall fit, and use of plastic parts when better should be used. Most of their tools work, at least for awhile.
I use Lee's universal decap die, and Lee Factory Crimp Die on most of all my handgun loads. The rest of my tools are RCBS and Dillon. The difference in quality is obvious, as well as the difference in price.
Lee tools are the reason that a lot of people hand load that would not otherwise get into the hobby. For that they serve the shooter well.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 04-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #9

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I got a few items of Lee equipment and everything is ok with them, I just had one Lee priming tool break but the replacement seems to be holding up

Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1003 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Everything that said Lee on it that I owned SUCKED ARES.

I had Lee shell holders none of my brass would fit in them. They fit in RCBS shel holders though.

Had a Universal decaping die it broke after 3 shells not 3 uses but after 3 45acp cases it broke the pin. I didn't hit a berdan primed case either.

I had a lee hand primer again after about 4 cases it snapped in half. I am talking like blew in half in my hand. It was in at least 20 different pieces cost me 96 CCI BR4 primers. No I was not using mil brass with the primer crimp.

My brother had a classic cast press and he went to resize a 222 rem case it snapped in half as well.

After all this I vowed to never purchase another lee product ever again. You can spend slightly more and get much better quality from Lyman stuff.
Tango,Are you a damn gorrilla or what?
I have used a Lee 4 hole turret press for years and the only thing I have broke is the auto index,which I don't need/use anyway.
I did buy a Lee Progressive press a couple years ago,and send it back the day after I received it,it was made cheap IMO and I knew I'd break things on it.

Now I will agree,Lee isn't the top of the line but they aren't that bad either.Unless you are a benchrest/competition shooter Lee dies are as good if not better than other brands. I have bent several decapper pins over the years getting stuck cases out of the dies,but those stuck cases were all used brass that I had picked up at the range,and I think the brass was the problem.

I would like to get a Dillon,but don't really need it for what I reload.