Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee Reloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 247 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default Lee Reloader

Let's say that I got this particular reloader for Christmas.

Gander Mountain® > Lee 50th Anniversary Reloading Press Kit - Hunting > Shooting Gear : Firearms, Ammunition, Black Powder, Firearm Accessories

What else am I going to need to get started reloading? I mean apart from the obvious: bullets, powder, primers and cases. I can get it a bit cheaper on Ebay or if Gander runs a sale.

I have or will have .223, .30-06, .30-30, 7.62x54r, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP

I have been saving my brass from the rifles. I don't know if it would be worth it to reload for the Mosin. Some of what I have in .223 is steel Wolf cases.

Thanks in advance for your help. I have no exposure to reloading so I will be learning from the ground up.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I would avoid that "kit".

I have learned the Lee powder measure is junk....it never throws close to the same charge consecutively or consistantly. The scale is operable but you will be better off with an inexpensive digital scale.

I would also suggest scouring Flea-bay for CARBIDE dies.

You will also need case holders.

The dies, presses, case holders/trimmers from Lee are good quality, the rest is suspect.

There are others WAY more experienced than that should be along shortly to help. I am just giving you my experience and what i have learned with Lee equipment.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

First buy a book. ABC's of reloading and/or the Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook. They will answer most of your questions and give a basis from which to make educated decisions.
FWIW, I started with the kit you list. It was fine for a while, but my needs grew to the point where I wanted more volume (I reload pistol only.) For the rifle stuff you will probably be happy with it. If you shoot a lot of pistol (and you will) I recommend taking it up a notch or two to the Lee Classic Turret (note: Classic not Deluxe). It will increase your volume without driving up your costs too much.
Edit: The Lee Perfect powder measure can be fussy. It works well for some powders, but problematic with others. Bullseye & 2400: no problem. Unique: try again. I would guess that some rifle powders will give you fits.
Other stuff:

You will want to get a Caliper of some sort so you KNOW what your OAL length is. Eventually you may find the Lee scale a bit frustrating as well. It's a perfectly serviceable item, just cumbersome to use.

Quote:
Some of what I have in .223 is steel Wolf cases.
Recycle those. While it may be theoretically possible to reload them in some rare instances, it's not worth the trouble; for a number of reasons. Recycle steel and Blazer aluminum cases, or leave them on the ground.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Last edited by Overkill0084; 11-20-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
First buy a book. ABC's of reloading and/or the Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook. They will answer most of your questions and give a basis from which to make educated decisions.
FWIW, I started with the kit you list. It was fine for a while, but my needs grew to the point where I wanted more volume (I reload pistol only.) For the rifle stuff you will probably be happy with it. If you shoot a lot of pistol (and you will) I recommend taking it up a notch or two to the Lee Classic Turret. It will increase your volume without driving up your costs too much.
Edit: The Lee Perfect powder measure can be fussy. It works well for some powders, but problematic with others. Bullseye & 2400: no problem. Unique: try again. I would guess that some rifle powders will give you fits.
Other stuff:

You will want to get a Caliper of some sort so you KNOW what your OAL length is. Eventually you may find the Lee scale a bit frustrating as well. It's a perfectly serviceable item, just cumbersome to use.
Fussy!?!? more like "Pain in my @$$"!!!! 2400 or Unique equally inconsistent throws with this junk Lee powder measure!!

The Lee turret is a GREAT piece of equipment IMHO...i have the 3 hole and for the money its AWESOME!!

The Lyman 49th is also a great suggestion as is the calipers...i spaced those, good call, O.K!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Fussy!?!? more like "Pain in my @$$"!!!! 2400 or Unique equally inconsistent throws with this junk Lee powder measure!!

The Lee turret is a GREAT piece of equipment IMHO...i have the 3 hole and for the money its AWESOME!!

The Lyman 49th is also a great suggestion as is the calipers...i spaced those, good call, O.K!!!
I had no problem with 2400 in mine. It was Unique that drove me to buy a better measure (Redding 3BR, FWIW). That and the Cheap feel of the thing. I would love to see a high end version that didn't leak. I really miss the removable hopper. The Lee PPM is a good idea that could have been executed better.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #6

You guys just aren't using the Lee Power Measure right. It's all technique...

First, you have to have the correct music going for the proper tempo of the throw; not too slow, but definitely not too fast. I find "one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer" by Thorogood is just about right. Then you hold your tongue on the left side of your mouth on the down-stroke. It helps. Finally, you tap the side of the measure twice between each throw.

If you follow these simple steps, the Lee measure works just fine for all your loading needs.

Rich.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7561 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Rich- I never heard of such a thing. Everyone knows that you need Steppenwolf on the stereo. Figure the vibration from the bass notes makes the powder settle.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richz99 View Post
You guys just aren't using the Lee Power Measure right. It's all technique...

First, you have to have the correct music going for the proper tempo of the throw; not too slow, but definitely not too fast. I find "one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer" by Thorogood is just about right. Then you hold your tongue on the left side of your mouth on the down-stroke. It helps. Finally, you tap the side of the measure twice between each throw.

If you follow these simple steps, the Lee measure works just fine for all your loading needs.

Rich.
Tap the measure twice...check, do that.

Holding the tongue on the left side of the mouth...check, do THAT.

1 bourbon, one scotch and one beer....I Drink THAT, not listen to it! THAT must be my problem!!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Rich- I never heard of such a thing. Everyone knows that you need Steppenwolf on the stereo. Figure the vibration from the bass notes makes the powder settle.
Are you saying RAP might be the way to go......if it is imma quit reloading!!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #10

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

You can save money by reloading for the Mosin. There is plenty of brass out there that is reloadable. Just check the box to make sure it says "Boxer Primed" Berdan primed is not reloadable...well not for 99.99% of the reloading population.

I have a lot of Lee stuff. For the beginner it is fine. But RCBS is better. You get what you pay for.

Seriously... BUY A BOOK!!! And read it!!!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.