Lee Reload gear any good? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee Reload gear any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The kit I was looking at was the Lee Deluxe 4 hole Turret Press. They say it comes with about everything. Then I was going to get the hand held primer tool, shell plates for the press and primer tool, dies for the 3 calibers and a tumbler. Am I missing anything? I have been told the scale that comes with the Lee Kit isn't very good. I was going to buy a digital scale.

Will the same dies do 9mm and .380 since they are the same size?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The press in the Deluxe kit is the standard turret press, it's a light duty press, but it's a little cheaper if you're trying to keep your start up cost down and since you're reloading just pistol rounds it should provide adequate service. One of the reason I chose the Classic Turret was I knew I would be reloading rifle rounds too. Plus I prefer cast iron and steel over the aluminum.

If you're getting Lee die sets you wont need the shell holders for the press, one is included with each set of dies. You will need the shell holder set for the hand primer though, Lee part #90198. You'll need both the 9mm and 380 die sets as they are a little different in size. Looking at the specs in my Hornady manual the 9mm case is .380" at the neck and tapers to .391' just above the rim. The 380 is .373" and is straight wall to just above the rim. If you want to try to reload both with the 9mm dies, I would suggest making some 380 dummy rounds and see if they chamber in your pistol. I really recommend getting both die sets though, it will save a lot of set-up time when switching calibers, you will have to re-adjust everything when switching.

There's a few thing you'll need that doesn't come with the kit. The hand primer and hand primer shell holders. A set of calipers to measure cases and loaded rounds, I prefer dial, but a lot of people use digital because they're easier to read when starting out. A bullet puller for the mistakes that are made now and them. I have two, the Hornady Cam-Lock and a kinetic bullet puller from Cabela's. Both do the job the kinetic is just cheaper. The lee Case length gauge for each caliber, about $4-5 each.

The Lee scales that came with my kit never worked right and I've read a lot of complaints on them too. So I replaced them with the RCBS 505. I really don't recommend the digital scales, the good digital are high priced and the cheap scales are cheaply made, I would recommend the RCBS scales instead. You should have a good set of balance beam scales to periodically check the digital scale for accuracy anyway.

Ive been using the $14 Iosso case cleaner kit for my brass, most prefer the tumbler, media and the hours involved with it. The liquid cleaner takes seconds to clean the brass and is cheaper to start out.

I'm sure there's a few other items needed, but can't really think of them at the moment.

Iosso liquid case cleaner.

Kinetic bullet puller.

RCBS 505 scale. A little high, but well worth the extra cost.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1847 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 563

My son in law is looking to sell his Lee progressive. I dont know the particulars but if you pm me an email address I can get it to him.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #14

I suggest you visit a reloader in your area and get him or her to help you draw up a list of what you need and tutor you during the initial stages until you are familiar with the basics and you are prepared to go the reloading way. Not many people realise how serious a commitment reloading is and once you are into it addictive.

1) List of equipment required
2) Manual on reloading
3) Then shop according to your budget constraints

Doing it such a long time I sometimes have to force myself to buy loads for self defence and still prefer my own brew.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default Lee Reloading Gear

I have been using Lee reloading equipment for about 25 years and I have no complaints. There are other good brands but more expensive and not really all that much better or easier to use.

Take time to carefully read all instruction manuals, reloading manuals and stay away from loading "Maximum Loads"..

I reload 9mmLuger ammo all the time, I enjoy reloading asnd shooting them.

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #16

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Lee

I purchased a simple, single Lee press just for de-capping purposes. It's very solid, very smooth operating and it's the bottom of the line in cost ($20). If the bottom of the line equipment is that good I'd bet that the rest of the line is of the same superior quality....just my 2 cents.