Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee Reload gear any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lee Reload gear any good?

I have been shooting my .380 LCP a lot lately and my 9mm Slim. I also have a .327 Magnum. Between the .380 and .327 ammo is getting expensive. I want to start reloading. How difficult is it for a beginner to start? Lee gear seems to be cheap and seems to be popular. I hear a lot of good things about Lee. Is it good or will I out grow it quick? Other than the basic Lee Deluxe Kit and dies what else do I need besides bullets, cases, powder and primers? Is the Lee book any good? I hear a lot of people say Hornady is the best.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

All depends on how much you want to spend. I have a lee but dont use the auto powder measure anymore. It was somewhat defective. Dillion makes a sweet little turret press, look into that one.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hear Dillon is the best of the best but also expensive. I'm not sure if I would stick to it so I want to go budget at first. If Lee is crap I'd spend more but if Lee will get my by for a year or two until I decide if reloading is my thing I'd like to save some $$$.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Lee will get it done for you. It has its flaws but for a beginner it will be ok.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck

Liked 989 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

BW,Reloading is a fairly simple and easy thing to do,if you read and understand the do's and dont's.
For a beginner,I'd suggest getting the book,ABC's of reloading.You can find it online or at your local book store.Then you should get several different loading manuals.I have manuals from every mfg of powder and bullet that I reload with.The Lee reloading manual will come in handy when using cast bullets,as well as the Lyman manual.

As far as Lee equipment goes,I like it,others don't.
I have used a Lee 4 hole Turret press for many years.I prefer a turret press over a single stage because you can have all of your dies setup in the turret plate,and still load as a single stage press if desired.
Lee makes some great dies for everyday shooting ammo,if you want to load competition grade ammo,then there are much better dies on the market.
I use a variety of mfg's equipment,Lee,RCBS,Redding,Hornady,etc.

You will also need a good beam and/or digital scale.The Lee scale works,but that's about it.I would suggest a nice RCBS beam scale or something similar.You can get great deals on used equipment on Ebay if you look for them.

You will also need a good set of calipers,I prefer the digital type.They are used to measure your case length,and OAL of your cartridges,which is a very important step of reloading.

An electric brass tumbler also comes in very handy,but not absolutely necessary,it just cleans your brass and makes it shiny.

There are many more things that are nice to have,but not a neccesity for just starting out.

The initial cost will be reduced with several boxes of reloaded ammo,but the way everything is going up,you don't save that much reloading.You do get to make better shooting and more accurate ammo for you weapons though.

Good luck,if you choose to start reloading.There are plenty of people around here that will try to answer any questions you have. THB

Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The 3 guns I want to load for are the .380, .327 Mag along with .32's for practice and 9mm. Once I buy all my equipment and books how much would it cost me roughly to load 100 rounds of each caliber?

Old 04-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #7

Liked 7550 Times on 3286 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

OK- I am going to pass on the cheap shot on Bunny Wabbit posting on Easter....

You have been given some good advice already, especially on The ABCs of Reloading. Lee equipment is OK- it may not be the Rolls Royce of reloading gear, but it is at least a good solid Chevy. A turret press is a bit more expensive, but much easier to work with over a single stage press.

The cost of reloads will depend on which powder, how much, which BULLET, free or purchased brass, etc. There are on line calculators you can use- google reloading cost calculator. Obviously, jacketed bullets will cost more than cast, etc. For s straight sided pistol cartridge, you will lose them in the grass before you wear them out.

I would suggest getting a basic Lee set up, and then do some shopping for USED dies. Unless someone left them where they would rust and get pitted, I don't think a hobbyist CAN wear out modern dies. Yes, all modern standard dies have same thread, and you can use RCBS dies in a Lee press, etc. Just peeked at Ebay- set of Lyman 9mm dies bid at $9.98 right now.

But get the ABCs before you buy anything else.

PS- I shoot one rifle that NEW ammo- when I can get it- is $75 for TWENTY rounds. Guess why I reload???

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #8

I use the Lee Loadall progressive and for about 250 bucks I was in business...my cost on .45 ACP is about 6 cents a round for bullits 1/2 to3/4 cents for powder and brass was 30 bucks a hundred,primers are $4.50 a hundred .......i would say around 15 dollars a hundred finished rounds.but it is a lot of fun to do it yourself...just be careful and don't take any short-cuts.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Lee deluxe kit is a really nice starter kit for pistol, I mostly load rifle so I have a single stage, but your gunna need dies, and getting the Lee case length gauge and shell holder for each cartridge your loading to go with the trimmer and lock stud that comes with the kit helps a lot with trimming. I've always liked Lee products, and I've always had great accuracy out of my Lee products, and for those who think that Lee is lower class on the accuracy scale, Google "Robert Frey 1000 yard record" he set a record for the smallest group at 1000 yards using a Lee press and Lee dies

Last edited by Jake15; 04-25-2011 at 04:02 AM.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:10 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I started reloading about 5 years ago with the Lee Classic Turret Press kit from Cabela's. I've been real happy with nearly all of Lee's products, but didn't like the scale they sell. Mine was never consistent and I finally just bought the RCBS 505 to replace it.

I highly recommend the Classic Turret Press Kit sold through Kempf and the $12 Pro-Auto Disc upgrade, it includes a set of dies (you choose) and no scales so you can get a dependable, more user friendly set of scales. I've had great service from the Pro-Auto Disc Powder Measure, the Safety Prime System and the press, I think you'll be much happier with the Classic Turret Press.

The Classic turret press is a much heavier press than the standard turret you get with the Deluxe Kit with cast iron and steel in places the regular turret press is using aluminum. Even loading pistol rounds people have been known to break the linkage on the standard turret press.

If you want to reload at a reasonable price, Lee is one of very few options and the Classic Turret Press can reload a good volume of ammo in and hour or two.

Lee Precision