Lee or RCBS - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee or RCBS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

I have yet to meet anyone who was happy with the Lee progressive press. They make some good products. The dies work well. Most of the molds are fine. The factory crimp die is cool. I have products from Dillon, RCBS, Lyman, Lee, MEC, Magma.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I haven't bought one yet, but all the old guys at my range are always encouraging me to buy a dillion. I'm actually looking into that one.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #13

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkytrd View Post
I haven't bought one yet, but all the old guys at my range are always encouraging me to buy a dillion. I'm actually looking into that one.
Yeah the Dillons are nice but they run a pretty penny and just starting out I don't want to spend too much and find out it's not for me or blow myself up.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

".. looking at the Lee Pro 1000 Progressive press. Any opinion on that one?"

Silver, it's a good press but no noob needs the complexity of a progressive to learn on. Far too many things are happening at once on a progressive for safety and they're usually tricky to swap calibers on. Leave the various specialty presses until later. The choice of press type depends on what you want to do but the most versatile press is a sturdy single stage; most of us never need anything else!

All our makers produce good stuff. Lee makes the widest range of presses with something for different needs, it's up to the buyer to choose what he needs and then to use it intelligently. (A lot of people do neither and then blame the tool for their failures!) Fact is, and strong personal brand loyalties and unmeasured impressions of "quality" aside, all presses of similar design that look a lot alike will work alike and will last just as long. Lee's cast iron/steel Clasic Cast single stage is the current superior press of its type, at any price, due to it's better user features (but ignore the bushing die holder system); if the CC had been available when I got my Rock Chucker that's what I would have today.

Individual impressions of any one brand of dies having 'closer tolerances' without measurements is meaningless. Actually, SAMMI's tolerance specifications are a range, not a specific point. Our makers all work to make dies within that tolerance range, any die inside the tolerance range is fully intolerance and any maker will replace anything that needs to be replaced. All meaning that, on average, there's as much variation between individual dies from the same maker as between makers. Including Lee's.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #15

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
".. looking at the Lee Pro 1000 Progressive press. Any opinion on that one?"

Silver, it's a good press but no noob needs the complexity of a progressive to learn on. Far too many things are happening at once on a progressive for safety and they're usually tricky to swap calibers on. Leave the various specialty presses until later. The choice of press type depends on what you want to do but the most versatile press is a sturdy single stage; most of us never need anything else!

All our makers produce good stuff. Lee makes the widest range of presses with something for different needs, it's up to the buyer to choose what he needs and then to use it intelligently. (A lot of people do neither and then blame the tool for their failures!) Fact is, and strong personal brand loyalties and unmeasured impressions of "quality" aside, all presses of similar design that look a lot alike will work alike and will last just as long. Lee's cast iron/steel Clasic Cast single stage is the current superior press of its type, at any price, due to it's better user features (but ignore the bushing die holder system); if the CC had been available when I got my Rock Chucker that's what I would have today.

Individual impressions of any one brand of dies having 'closer tolerances' without measurements is meaningless. Actually, SAMMI's tolerance specifications are a range, not a specific point. Our makers all work to make dies within that tolerance range, any die inside the tolerance range is fully intolerance and any maker will replace anything that needs to be replaced. All meaning that, on average, there's as much variation between individual dies from the same maker as between makers. Including Lee's.
Thanks. I just don't want to always be messing with the dies to try and get them right. I'm a fan of finding the right setting and leaving it. What do you think about a noob working on a turret press?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

IF Lee had made their Classic Cast press back when I got my Rock Chucker my main press would be red. My young freind's CC is a better press than mine, from any perspective, and it still costs less.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #17
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
I was looking at the Lee Pro 1000 Progressive press. Any opinion on that one?
Lee builds some great turret presses,but for a progressive press,I'd step up and buy a better product like the Hornady Lock and Load AP,or the RCBS Pro 2000 press,or a Dillon.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. I just don't want to always be messing with the dies to try and get them right. I'm a fan of finding the right setting and leaving it. What do you think about a noob working on a turret press?
That is EXACTLY the reason I went with the Lee Turret Press close to 30 years ago. Mine is a 3-holer and I have extra turrets. I simply set up the caliber I am going to reload for and lock the dies down. I have a turret for each of the calibers I reload. I use my turret press as a single stage press, batch loading everything. I don't have the auto-indexing option on my press (not that I would use it anyway though). An example is one evening I will size and decap 1000 pcs of .38 special brass. Perhaps the next night, I will use my Lee hand primer to prime the decapped brass. Then, I will run them through the expander die (after rotating the turret to the next die) and put a very slight flare on the case mouth. By the time I am done with doing all that, I have 1000 cases ready to put the powder and bullet in (which I do in one setting). I use a powder measure for dropping the powder into the cases, usually doing those in batches of approximately 50 pcs. I then run a quick visual inspection to make sure all the cases have powder in them and that no double-charges have occurred. Then, I will seat and crimp (if needed) the bullet in place before filling the next batch of brass with powder.

Using the turret press in such a manner is faster than using a true single stage press but generally not as fast as a fully progressive press. It has worked very well for me in everything from 9mm up through some of the shorter rifle cartridges. The system has held true for well over 75,000 rounds of ammo, mostly .38s and .223

I still use a single stage press for loading up my '06 brass though.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #19
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
The Turret press is the easiest way to load without being a Progressive press.
I have always used a Turret press,and currently have 2-A Lee Classic,and the Deluxe Turret presses.
The Classic is a better press,but the Deluxe will give you many years of reliable service.Both have the Auto Index feature that moves the turret plate after each cycle of the arm.
I only use the Auto Index when I'm loading pistol rounds,and use the presses in a manual mode for rifle rounds.

Once you setup the dies in the Turret plates,your done.The only changes will be setting the Bullet seating die up when you change bullets,and that only involves turning a knob on the top of the seating die.
If you buy extra Turret plates,you can change calibers in the press in a matter of seconds.
I have every die set for each caliber that I load for in a seperate turret plate,they also fit nicely in PVC fittings for plate holders.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1494 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

I've got to go with RCBS, but only because that's what I have and I have very little experience with Lee. My buddy just went with a Lee classic and I went with an RCBS pro 2000. His press works great and I've been very happy with mine. Comparing the two is sort of like comparing apples to oranges, but both do exactly what they are suppose to. Like the plates on the turret, the pro 2000 also has a removable plate. Once you set your dies just change plates and you never have to adjust dies again.