Lee Pot and Mold - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Lee Pot and Mold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2922 Times on 1720 Posts

Tough to see the pic but they look Damn good to me.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #12

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I used to cast .36 for some sweet pietta double barrel pistols I used to have. I would put the lead, ladle, and mold all in the pot together to get it all nice and hot. had much fewer defects that had to be recast, and the ladle poured much cleaner. And yeah, I've had sweat drop into it. Not cool at all.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that the fastest way to turn that bottom-pour pot into a "drip-o-matic" is to smelt your wheelweights or other dirty lead in it. Smelt in a different pot (non-bottom pour) and cast from the bottom pour. Old dutch ovens or stainless pots work great for smelting. DO NOT USE ALUMINUM pots for smelting. It is just asking for disaster.

Lots of great info about casting is available from places like LASC, Cast Bullet Association, and CastBoolits.com as well as the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (3rd or 4th edition are both excellent).

Be safe and happy casting.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #14

I have read about the Lee drip problems a lot before I got the pot. I smelted all of my lead outside in an old pot over my propane turkey cooker, double fluxed with parafin and sawdust, then cast ingots in dollar store muffin pans. Nothing went into my casting pot but the ingots and flux. So far, have not had a single drip Fingers are crossed on that. Also, kept a cast iron skillet handy for any possible emergency where I could not get it to shut off at all, since that happened once to a friend of mine

I'm gonna go though these closely today when I size and lube them, but looking at them again last night, it looks like very few imperfections big enough to be any issue. I did note from one of my pictures that the bullets cast first are shiny, and the later bullets were starting to look a little frost. But I was getting fast by then, and the mold was getting hot and probably needed to be cooled down a bit.

I can't wait to shoot my first cast boolits!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bad news Travis, you're addicted now. Next thing you know, you will be buying more molds, then buying new guns to cast for, then searching for lead anywhere you can think of to find it. You'll be dreaming of the silver stream, carrying empty buckets with you everywhere you go, hoping to find a tire shop that will give or sell you some wheelweights. There is no cure.

Welcome to the addiction!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #16

Thanks. I am already looking at moulds for my .357/.38 specials It was way too much fun casting this first batch. Probably get a LSWC for those first.

And it gets worse. I was reading about casting when I first started reloading. Now I am watching YouTube videos on swaging and I just started casting!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #17

Almost forgot. I culled another 5 bullets from the batch when I examined then closely this morning for defects. All 5 were cases where I slopped some lead into the second cavity accidentally when I over filled the first, leading to what looks like it could be a two part bullet when I finished the second. I should probably pour both cavities without pausing between them. I got them all coated with liquid Alox and have them drying now. The couple that I culled while casting were all cases where I did not fill out the base completely. I need to load and shoot these, the get to casting up about 500 more!
p1010014.jpg