Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee Pot and Mold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lee Pot and Mold

The FedEx dude snuck by and left a box on my porch yesterday while we were gone!

Got a Lee Pro 4 20 lb pot and 452-230-TC mold. I'm gonna have to clean out enough of the garage to get to my file cabinet that has all my lead and stuff in it before I can do anything though And then I will have to smelt some of that to clean it up. But I can't wait to start!

new-pot-mold.jpg  

Travis'n'Texas

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Congrats. Just make sure you have good ventilation and preheat your tools.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #3

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
Congrats. Just make sure you have good ventilation and preheat your tools.
And where some freaking safety equipment! Molten lead isn't the most stable thing. I'd wear a face shield(safety glasses at the very lest), gloves, and some sort of apron.

But that aside, have fun!

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #4

Good advice, and thanks. I've cast lead before, just never bullets. I have a bunch of old soldier molds, car molds, fishing molds, etc. I was outside, in a breeze, upwind of the pot. I use my long welding gloves and I am working on the ground for the most part.

I managed to get to all my molds in my garage, and scavenged up all the lead I had accumulated over the years. I smelted 24 lbs. of ingots out of them yesterday and I have another 10-12 lbs left in the pot. But I suspect there is no tin at all in the mix yet, so I am going to get some WW and I will mix bits of this into that and hopefully end up with a decent alloy for some bullets.

Travis'n'Texas

Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Spend some time getting your "setup" just right.The chair to casting pot relationship is critical for my old bones,haha.As posted...get the ventilation just right as well.I usually am good for about 3 hours before needing to give it a break.......but thats lots of bullits!

We have a bunch of steel moulds as well as aluminum.It never ceases to amaze,how well those Lee moulds work.They'll eventually loosen up.....but dang thats tens of thousands of bullits.Shopnut

Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #6

Yeah, have been thinking about that positioning thing. I don't know, but it would seem to me that I need to have the pot high enough that I can, at least till I get used to it, see the spout on the bottom without leaning over the whole time. I am sure I will pour some, then make radical changes till I find something that works for me. I still have not figured out where I will cast yet! But I am anxious to cast some bullets. My scrap lead that I have smelted may not be hard enough, but hell, might as well give it a try!

Travis'n'Texas

Old 04-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Staestc,

Have you given any thought to 'sizing and lubing'.
One more step that makes a difference.

Back in the late 60's I would cast bullets and rub Lyman lube into the grease grove by hand and load them with out sizing. I was in the AF and just happy I could afford powder and primers. They worked and I shot a lot of them on BLM land in Montana. But I had a lot of time to scrub lead out of that old S&W Model 28. Didn't load it very hot at all. Still leaded badly. Later I got a Lyman 450 and began using gas checks. Big difference and the leading went away.

Lead is fun. Keep it very dry when you do a melt.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #8

I got the Lee sizer kit with their liquid Alox lube when I ordered the pot. I may try one of the home brew pan lubes too later. I've been reading a ton on alloys and lubes over the last month.

I also saw a video on the aftermath of a lead smelting accident from water! Drops of lead stuck to the guys sun glasses got my attention!!

Travis'n'Texas

Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Yep getting a visit from the silver dragon is not fun. Lead is very reactive to moisture. Even a drop of sweat will cause issues. You also don't want to put a cold ladle into the pot or pour into a cold mold.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #10

Fired up the new pot for the first time. Cleaned the pot, cleaned the mold, smoked the mold. Everything went great and I am way excited about how they turned out Cast about 100 .45 bullets. I only culled 3 or 4 during casting, but I am sure there will be some more when I examine them with my reading glasses on instead of my safety glasses

first-bullets.jpg  

Travis'n'Texas