Lee "factory crimp" die or Dillon crimp die?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee "factory crimp" die or Dillon crimp die?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 03:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Lee "factory crimp" die or Dillon crimp die?

I'm reloading my first bottleneck cartridges (.223) and I ended up with a Dillon 3-die set (FL sizer, bullet seater, and taper crimp) which I'm VERY happy with. Upon further thought, I also bought a Dillon case headspace gauge to properly adjust the sizing die. So far I've sized and primed my cases, and I also have installed the seater die and have that properly adjusted. Now comes the time to install/setup the crimp die. The Dillon set includes a taper crimp die....but I also have a brand new Lee "factory crimp" die still in the package (it was given to me some time ago). Now that I am actually at the point of reloading some .223, I need to choose one of the crimp dies. Which one is better? Opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #2

Liked 2502 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 2409

I've used both and both work very well. You won't go wrong no matter which one you pick.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 733 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 328

The Lee Factory Crimp die is a great crimp die. The bullet doesn't need a cannelure and case length is not critical.

...but like any tool it can be misused. It can and will damage or crush the bullet if not set-up properly. When testing, Go easy and start with a light crimp working up to a heavier crimp if needed.

I have seen more than a few photos of bullets destroyed by over crimping with the Lee Factory Crimp die. The sad thing is the handloader that posts these photos then blames the die for destroying the bullets and the accuracy when the real problem is Pilot error.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5699 Times on 3222 Posts
Likes Given: 5110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I've used both and both work very well. You won't go wrong no matter which one you pick.

^^^^^ THIS^^^^+1

My personal preference is the LEE FCD.

I do not like LEE products
in general, but their FCD, IMHO, is a great innovation that all of the others should copy.

(I wish I could get a Redding FCD)

Winston Churchill
Trez Likes This 
Old 03-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #5

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

So far all of my equipment is lee. Other than pitching their awful sizing lube I am very happy with everything. Including the FCD

Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Thanks for all the input and help. In the end, I decided to go with the Lee factory crimp die. I do have it set for a "mild" crimp, and I feel that some crimp is necessary for my purposes. Thank you all.