Lee Dies - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee Dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
OK, the next time I load up a batch of .458 w/ 510 grain bullets, I'll keep that in mind.
cottontop
my point is that not all dies are perfect for any application. every maker has their idiosynchrosies. the thing i hate the most about rcbs dies and like about some other makers is rcbs incorporates the crimp step in the seating dies. to get seperate crimping i have to buy yet another die.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6307 Times on 3532 Posts
Likes Given: 5887

Jon, look into Redding dies. Many calibers are available in 4 die sets.

I usually buy Redding 3 die sets, and a LEE factory crimp die.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 12-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #13

I will agree that the Lee factory crimp die is a good one. I use the Lee crimp die with my .35 Remington loads, the only cartridges I crimp. However, the other Lee dies, like I explained above are just not worth the trouble for me. Redding and Lyman seem to have the highest quality to me, followed by RCBS and Hornady. That is just my opinion based on my experience. Your opinions and experiences may be different and I am fine with that.
BTW, I have an old set of Herters dies for the .222 Remington (I believe made by CH) that I bought off ebay. The full length sizer works great, but the adjustment ring on the bullet seater is stuck and I cannot move it at all. So, after sizing the brass, I use the bullet seater from my set of .223 Lyman dies to seat the bullets in my .222 cartridges and it works perfectly fine.
cottontop

locutus Likes This 
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I will agree that the Lee factory crimp die is a good one. I use the Lee crimp die with my .35 Remington loads, the only cartridges I crimp. However, the other Lee dies, like I explained above are just not worth the trouble for me. Redding and Lyman seem to have the highest quality to me, followed by RCBS and Hornady. That is just my opinion based on my experience. Your opinions and experiences may be different and I am fine with that.
BTW, I have an old set of Herters dies for the .222 Remington (I believe made by CH) that I bought off ebay. The full length sizer works great, but the adjustment ring on the bullet seater is stuck and I cannot move it at all. So, after sizing the brass, I use the bullet seater from my set of .223 Lyman dies to seat the bullets in my .222 cartridges and it works perfectly fine.
cottontop
What do you bullets measure and what does the expander on the Lee die
measure?

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy