Lee collet dies seem kinda of tricky? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee collet dies seem kinda of tricky?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1169 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Lee dies are probably the easiest dies in the world to set up and use.When all else fails-READ the directions and follow them.
I have and use dies by Lee,RCBS,Redding,and Hornady.Lee's are by far the simplest to set up and use,and I have never broken/bent any parts of them.
I can't say that on all the other brands!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #12

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have proven it to myself. I have several Lee Collet dies. Many of them right out of the box did not supply enough neck tension to hold the bullet secure. It was very easy to push the bullet deeper into the case.
A quick call to Lee and the problem was solved. They suggested I polish the mandrel down or purchase one of their "reduced" mandrels. They told me that not all brass is created equal and some brass is more elastic than others and some has more spring back than others. Especially brass that has been fired many times. The reduced mandrel squeezes the neck down a thou or two more to compensate for brass spring back.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1169 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
I have proven it to myself. I have several Lee Collet dies. Many of them right out of the box did not supply enough neck tension to hold the bullet secure. It was very easy to push the bullet deeper into the case.
A quick call to Lee and the problem was solved. They suggested I polish the mandrel down or purchase one of their "reduced" mandrels. They told me that not all brass is created equal and some brass is more elastic than others and some has more spring back than others. Especially brass that has been fired many times. The reduced mandrel squeezes the neck down a thou or two more to compensate for brass spring back.
Do you regularly anneal your brass?

In the 30+ years that I've reloaded.I've never had any neck tension problems with any dies,especially Lee's,unless the brass needed to be annealed.
I rarely ever crimp any bullets,and don't have any problems with any bullets being freely moved by hand in the necks,but I also always anneal my brass after 3-5 firings.It all depends on the caliber/loads that I'm pushing rather fast.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #14

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Do you regularly anneal your brass?

In the 30+ years that I've reloaded.I've never had any neck tension problems with any dies,especially Lee's,unless the brass needed to be annealed.
I rarely ever crimp any bullets,and don't have any problems with any bullets being freely moved by hand in the necks,but I also always anneal my brass after 3-5 firings.It all depends on the caliber/loads that I'm pushing rather fast.
I anneal most of my brass, especially the high $$ stuff. Even annealed, different headstamps yield different amounts of
"spring back".