Lee collet dies seem kinda of tricky?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee collet dies seem kinda of tricky?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lee collet dies seem kinda of tricky?

Well today was the first time using lee collet dies on some fire formed 8mm brass and it was a hell of an experience. As i was seating the bullets they kept falling through the case. I finally figured it all out after re reading the setup instructions very carefully but it took me a while. All my problems were due to my inexperience reloading rifle cartridges but im learning anybody else go through this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21983 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

yeah! i resized and prepped about 25-30 cases of 280 Rem. loaded the powder charges, seated the bullets, did a light crimp, one evening after work. a few days later, the next weekend, i was going to do some testing of the loads i did, then realized, i forgot the primers!

it happens. even to veteran reloaders. just learn from your mistakes and everything will be fine.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

None of us were born knowing much. The collet neck sizer has a moving part - the collet - so it does have a short learning curve. From what I read on the web, seems some guys never get it.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721 View Post
...anybody else go through this?
You're in good company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
None of us were born knowing much. The collet neck sizer has a moving part - the collet - so it does have a short learning curve. From what I read on the web, seems some guys never get it.
Are you talking about reloading or wimmen?

I have a theory, all equipment is female...

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #5

well im not giving up on it yet. Apparently it helps if you totally disassemble it clean out any metal shavings and grease it up a little.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
You're in good company.

Are you talking about reloading or wimmen?

I have a theory, all equipment is female...
gave up trying to learn about women a long tome ago now i just use selective hearing with my wife to try to Pick out the important parts of what she is saying and tune out the rest

Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #7

I could see with these dies how someone using them for the first time would be frustrated with them. I will be taking my calipers with me to the range just to make sure there is no bullet set back while im shooting. My reloading manuals are my bible when it comes to reloading but I sure love youtube when it comes to learning all the little tricks on how to do things and fix problems.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #8

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The Lee Collet die is set up for about .001 neck tension. Many handloaders feel this to be inadequate. Increasing the neck tension can be done two ways. Chuck the mandrel in a drill and polish it down to your desired size with some fine emery cloth, or order a "reduced" mandrel from Lee for $5.

Check the neck tension by taking a loaded round and push the tip of the bullet hard into the bench, you should not be able to seat the bullet deeper without a lot of pressure, if at all.

You can also measure it. Measure the outside neck diameter of a sized round. Seat a bullet. Measure again and subtract.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #9

Liked 2600 Times on 1479 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

What you can try is to seat a bullet

in a cartridge without the primer or powder.

I save my crappiest and mismatched cartridges,

and test press my "crushers" till I'm satisfied

that seating depth and crimp are right, before

moving on.

I find I lose some cartridges, but save a lot of primers and

powder this way.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"The Lee Collet die is set up for about .001 neck tension. Many handloaders feel this to be inadequate. "

That's true but, IMHO, they are provably wrong; a thou or so is all of the "neck tension" anyone's really going to get no matter how small they may make case necks. I suspect they're mentally equating the lever force for seating in small necks as bullet grip but that's not so, all they're feeling is the additional effort to expand the necks enough for the bullets to enter. Any hole starting smaller than about 1 thou less than bullet diameter just stretches the brass passed its elastic limit during seating and we are left with only the last .001" for real bullet grip/tension.

Prove it to yourself; carefully mic a loaded round, then pull the bullet and mic it again... 1 to 1.5 thou of springback after bullet removal is all that will change from seated to pulled no matter how small the original sized neck diameter was. Meaning, Lee knows what they are doing; those who think added seating pressure equates to added bullet grip don't.

Last edited by 1hole; 05-25-2012 at 01:29 AM.