Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lee collet dies Or full length resizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Lee collet dies Or full length resizing

G'day fellas

As you all may be aware I'm a novice when it comes to reloading....I'm in the process of reloading once fired 308 brass and ready to purchase some dies,I have looked at the lee deluxe die set which features 1 collet die,1 full length resizing die and a seating die,I understand that buy neck sizing only you achieve more reloads and supposingly create better accuracy as opposed to full length resizing.... Some people at the range I go to swear by full length sizing there brass and others swear by neck sizing only....I'm confused as to what is better and why....could someone please elaborate on what's more suitable in the reloading world or send me a private message....whatever it takes......cheers

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

This is a widely debated subject. I personally neck size for all my single shot and bolt guns. Neck sizing has proven to be more accurate in most of my firearms. It also doesn't work your brass as much a full length sizer.

Last edited by kingrider; 06-20-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #3

Liked 494 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 244

It is one of those, what works for me and mine may or may not work for you and yours.

You will have to experiment for yourself to see if Neck sizing is right for you.

If you do decide to neck size be aware that at some point you will have to full length size your brass. Your brass cases will continue to grow with each firing and sooner or later they will not chamber.

I gave up neck sizing a long time ago. I use my rifle for more than just shooting off a bench(Hunting) and when I need a round to chamber smoothly, I need a round to chamber smoothly, FL sizing gives me this where neck sizing does not (maybe).

Personally I have found no accuracy advantage to neck sizing. YMMV

Old 06-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #4

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

If you are shooting a rifle designed for "Paper" punching neck sizing is important. Neck sizing allows consistent head space to a specific chamber. Controlling neck dimensions is more than just sizing.
I would simply full length size if using a conventional bolt action magazine fed sporting rifle. The Bolt action sporter is designed with versatility as its main feature. It combines easy feed for repeat shots and acceptable field accuracy.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks very much for the replies fellas......as stated in other threads that my rifle is a Howa 308 and is solely used for hunting purposes only as I shoot for council game purposes in national parks,I don't bother with shooting paper targets and definitely will not be bench rest shooting...so as stated above it sounds to me like full length resizing is the way to go if your intentions are for hunting purposes.....cheers

Old 06-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #6

Liked 313 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 536

The following is based only on MY experiences and I'm sure that many others will disagree. But, that is fine as I have no desire to convince anyone to change their ways the same as I don't want anyone to try to convince me to do things their way.

That being said, I am not very fond of Lee dies in general and the collet neck sizer specifically. I prefer RCBC, Redding, Lyman, and Hornady dies, in that order. I load for a dozen or so different cartridges, so I have a good idea on what works well and what doesn't. Lee dies just seem "cheap" to me. I have also had more trouble adjusting them. I don't care for the collet neck sizer at all and I have found it to be inconsistant and finicky. I have found the best neck sizer dies to be Redding. Neck sizing is also easier on the reloader as it is almost effortless and very little case lube is used (just a pass w/ a dab on a cotton swab inside the neck will lube several cases).

This is what I do and it has always worked for me in over 40 years of reloading. First off I don't own or shoot autoloaders or lever actions. Nothing against them, just not my cup of tea. Being that I only shoot bolt actions and single shots, I neck size only. I never full length size unless the brass is new or once fired in some other rifle. If you are worried about neck sized ammo not functioning in your husting rifle, just run all of your cartridges through the chamber before the hunt and cull out the rounds that might not chamber well (if any, and I have never had a problem).
ct

Old 06-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop
The following is based only on MY experiences and I'm sure that many others will disagree. But, that is fine as I have no desire to convince anyone to change their ways the same as I don't want anyone to try to convince me to do things their way.

That being said, I am not very fond of Lee dies in general and the collet neck sizer specifically. I prefer RCBC, Redding, Lyman, and Hornady dies, in that order. I load for a dozen or so different cartridges, so I have a good idea on what works well and what doesn't. Lee dies just seem "cheap" to me. I have also had more trouble adjusting them. I don't care for the collet neck sizer at all and I have found it to be inconsistant and finicky. I have found the best neck sizer dies to be Redding. Neck sizing is also easier on the reloader as it is almost effortless and very little case lube is used (just a pass w/ a dab on a cotton swab inside the neck will lube several cases).

This is what I do and it has always worked for me in over 40 years of reloading. First off I don't own or shoot autoloaders or lever actions. Nothing against them, just not my cup of tea. Being that I only shoot bolt actions and single shots, I neck size only. I never full length size unless the brass is new or once fired in some other rifle. If you are worried about neck sized ammo not functioning in your husting rifle, just run all of your cartridges through the chamber before the hunt and cull out the rounds that might not chamber well (if any, and I have never had a problem).
ct
I had never been a Lee fan either until their collet die. Don't get me wrong, I love reddings bushing dies but the Lee collet has seen more and more use in my presses as of late. By design there just isn't a whole lot of room for error. In my experience with them so far, runout has been next to nothing. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind either, just my opinion.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #8

Liked 494 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrider View Post
I had never been a Lee fan either until their collet die. Don't get me wrong, I love reddings bushing dies but the Lee collet has seen more and more use in my presses as of late. By design there just isn't a whole lot of room for error. In my experience with them so far, runout has been next to nothing. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind either, just my opinion.
Yup, best neck die ever made. Inexpensive too.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have lee dies, but no collet. Im not that hi tech yet.

As far as the neck size and FL size goes. People will says they get longer reloads form neck sizing only. Umm no. I FL size everything i shoot, because then it is 99% straight and true with the die. I get more reloads out of FL sized brass than i do neck sized brass. I had a guy argue with me about it, so i got some neck sizers, and he was local so we went to the range, with my neck sizers FL sizers and handpress and all the other goodies. I made his mouth drop when he saw a new piece of brass, fail after 5 neck sizeings, and i got 7 out of FL sizeings.

To me FL is the way to go, because it neck sizes while it FL, most reloaders should know that, FL is a benefit.

I use Lee, RCBS, and Redding FL dies. No issues, no complaints, and makes mouths drop when you show them results.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmallcrew
I have lee dies, but no collet. Im not that hi tech yet.

As far as the neck size and FL size goes. People will says they get longer reloads form neck sizing only. Umm no. I FL size everything i shoot, because then it is 99% straight and true with the die. I get more reloads out of FL sized brass than i do neck sized brass. I had a guy argue with me about it, so i got some neck sizers, and he was local so we went to the range, with my neck sizers FL sizers and handpress and all the other goodies. I made his mouth drop when he saw a new piece of brass, fail after 5 neck sizeings, and i got 7 out of FL sizeings.

To me FL is the way to go, because it neck sizes while it FL, most reloaders should know that, FL is a benefit.

I use Lee, RCBS, and Redding FL dies. No issues, no complaints, and makes mouths drop when you show them results.
The only benefit of full length sizing is reliable feeding. I get anywhere between 12 to 15 (sometimes more) firings of most of my calibers,223, 7mm-08, 243, 204, etc. neck sizing . I use a shoulder bump die when necessary and anneal after 5 firings. Not sure what you mean by "99% straight and true?