Lee Classic Turret Press
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Lee Classic Turret Press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lee Classic Turret Press

I bought one to have a cheap turret press.
My RCBS Rockchucker got lost in a move, I sold my Dillon 550 because I don't load much pistol ammo anymore and wanted a lower priced turret press to get me by until I had the money to buy a better one.

All I can say is to save your money.

The inserts are aluminum and they don't fit tight so when you raise the ram up, it causes the turret to cant. No way to load quality reloads.

I ended up using washers to lock down the turret in one position using the 3 bolts that hold the turret base on so now it's solid and works fine as a single stage press.

Save your money if you want a decent turret press.

I should have know better than to buy a lee, but was trying to save some $$$ until getting a better one. Live and learn.

It is pretty solid now, so it will make good reloads, but it's not a turret anymore.

John K

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Call them up and tell them, their customer service is great. I've got one and I have no problems with it at all and I've loaded thousands of pistol rounds with it. I got mine to get started into reloading and one day I will probably buy a better press but I'm happy with the 4 hole turret I bought from Lee.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #3

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman55 View Post

I should have know better than to buy a lee, but was trying to save some $$$ until getting a better one. Live and learn.

John K
I've got a Lee classic turret press and two Redding T-7 turrets (cast iron).

The Reddings are no different. (Just not as much cant.) It's the nature of the turret design. If they made them so tight that they wouldn't cant, you wouldn't be able to turn the turret anyway.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 AM   #4

I just don't like any cant in my press. Ammo should be loaded at 90 degrees to the top, not 95 degrees.
I'm an accuracy freek, so I'm most likely more picky than most.
I do know that my dillon didn't can't and the Hornady progressive does not either.
Different design I know, but the canting bothers me.
Now that I put washers under the 3 bolts and one large washer that fits over the turret, it holds the turret 100% level.
It's now a single stage, but I'll take the extra time.
I just figure that unless you are loading plinking ammo, everything that you can do to make the ammo more accurate is worth the time it takes.

Just my 2 cents.

John K

Old 12-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #5

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Oh I'm with you 100% John. I agree the best way to load accurate ammo is with a good solid press setup. I've been getting away with it on the Redding presses only because I'm using their competition dies with the case body "carrier" that keeps it aligned with the die & bullet seating stem. Still, I've been thinking about turning down the shoulder on the center bolt so I can lock down the turret solidly to the frame. I do most my loading in single stages anyway so it won't be a big deal to loosen the bolt to move the turret & then lock it down again.

I just think if one is going to be as picky as we are about their ammo specs, then they should stick to a good solid O frame press. Just depends on which is more important to you I guess. Quality or quantity?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

All I use mine for right now is range fodder for my pistols. I've got an old lee loader for my 30-06 which is slow but accurate.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Years ago I bought several pieces of junk. Some of it I thought was great untill I wore it out. I just load to much ammo to use their junk.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #8

Liked 1567 Times on 882 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman55 View Post
I bought one to have a cheap turret press.
My RCBS Rockchucker got lost in a move, I sold my Dillon 550 because I don't load much pistol ammo anymore and wanted a lower priced turret press to get me by until I had the money to buy a better one.

All I can say is to save your money.

The inserts are aluminum and they don't fit tight so when you raise the ram up, it causes the turret to cant. No way to load quality reloads.

I ended up using washers to lock down the turret in one position using the 3 bolts that hold the turret base on so now it's solid and works fine as a single stage press.

It is pretty solid now, so it will make good reloads, but it's not a turret anymore.

John K
Damn,You must be kin to Tango.

If you don't like Lee,Fine! Just box it up and send it to me.

I've been loading with a Lee 4 hole Turret Press for many,many years and have never had any accuracy problems with their products.
As far as the canting goes,it will not affect the round at all.
The case goes into a precision machined Die,and the case has no way to be bent inside the die.There is enough clearance built into the shell holders for any canting of the turret plate.

There are many brands that cost more,and may or may not be better built than Lee.But reloading isn't rocket science,and doesn't have to cost a lot for a press to reload a quality cartridge.