Leading from .45acp reloads?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Leading from .45acp reloads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Leading from .45acp reloads?

Heres the long n short cuzz somtimes my posts are windy...

Found a box of 500count Hornady 200gr. SWC lead from LGS loaded up roughly 25 to try out the load.

Lrg, Pprimers--new cases--RedDot pwdr--200gr. LSWC Hornady

Load-- 4.0gr. red dot -- LOA--1.1212

I hand throw all my charges ona RCBS scale, LOA first couple witha good digi-caliper and use a headspace gauge.

After going through 3mags to try out these reloads i started cleanin the barrel lastnight and noticed the residue not stopping. I continued this mornin with the cleaning and it just seems to keep comin

I go from bore brush to wet patches to dry and everything inbetween. Lookin in the bore its def. not like after cleaning after FMJ, which is all ive shot up until now. Suggestions? Id like to go out this afternoon since the sun is out and do somr plinking. Whats the most this will do? Cake the crap outta the bore and make cleaning sessions longer? I clean after every shoot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 742 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Removing lead is very simple and easy.

Go down to your local Grocery store or Wall-mart and pick up some All Copper Chore Boys scrubbing pads. Open one up and cut off a square with a scissors. Wrap it around a Worn out bore brush or a nylon one. Run it back and forth in the bore, should take but a minute or two. Clean as a whistle.

Now, to why the excess leading.

What size were these bullets, lead should be at least .001 larger then the bore.

Hornady Lead bullets a swaged very soft lead, not cast, could be too soft for your load and gun.

Did you clean "ALL" the copper out of the bore before you switched to lead? You should.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #3

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I shoot soft lead all the time. Some of my guns lead up. Some dont. It depends on how tight the bullet is in the bore. The tighter the better. I bought an old Colt revolver that was leaded up so bad it looked like the rifling was gone. When I was done it looked new again in the bore.

Go down to kmart and get a pack of chore-boy copper pot scrubbers. They are real copper. Do not buy the cheap imitations. Take a pair af scissors and cut them into squares about 2" x 2". Wrap it around a smaller cleaning brush. I use a worn out 38 brush to do 45. Run it through the bore dry. Do not lube at all. If you vigorously run it back and forth through the barrel for about 30 seconds it will get it all out. Don't worry about hurting the barrel. You shoot copper jacketed ammo at much higher speeds.

Do this outside. When you are done there will be lead powder on the ground around you.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 852 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Removing lead is very simple and easy.

Go down to your local Grocery store or Wall-mart and pick up some All Copper Chore Boys scrubbing pads. Open one up and cut off a square with a scissors. Wrap it around a Worn out bore brush or a nylon one. Run it back and forth in the bore, should take but a minute or two. Clean as a whistle.

Now, to why the excess leading.

What size were these bullets, lead should be at least .001 larger then the bore.

Hornady Lead bullets a swaged very soft lead, not cast, could be too soft for your load and gun.

Did you clean "ALL" the copper out of the bore before you switched to lead? You should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I shoot soft lead all the time. Some of my guns lead up. Some dont. It depends on how tight the bullet is in the bore. The tighter the better. I bought an old Colt revolver that was leaded up so bad it looked like the rifling was gone. When I was done it looked new again in the bore.

Go down to kmart and get a pack of chore-boy copper pot scrubbers. They are real copper. Do not buy the cheap imitations. Take a pair af scissors and cut them into squares about 2" x 2". Wrap it around a smaller cleaning brush. I use a worn out 38 brush to do 45. Run it through the bore dry. Do not lube at all. If you vigorously run it back and forth through the barrel for about 30 seconds it will get it all out. Don't worry about hurting the barrel. You shoot copper jacketed ammo at much higher speeds.

Do this outside. When you are done there will be lead powder on the ground around you.
Thank you both for the tip about the Chore-Boy copper scrubbers! I fired a box of 45 acp my Dad had assembled years ago and apparently used very soft lead and some type of dry lube! It took hours for me to get it clean using the traditional procedures!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #5

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanx alot for the quick respones guys. Used caliper best i could for bore diameter of .441 and the lead was .450. I will def. pck up some copper chore boys and get to scrubbin =)

Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #6

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

No problem. Glad to help. When I started to type there were no other post but the first one. My work called me on the phone. I set laptop aside and took care of work. When I finished my post I realized that the other poster had said the same thing.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

http://choreboyscrubbers.com/Products/Ultimate%20Scrubbers%20Pure%20Copper.aspx

Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5714 Times on 3230 Posts
Likes Given: 5146

The lead bullets from Hornady, Speer, etc are SWAGED, NOT CAST. They are dead soft. Usually 97 percent lead and 3 percent antimony. I won't use them.

Cast lead bullets are normally 90 percent lead, ~3 percent tin and ~7 percent antimony. Far superior to swaged, soft lead.

The easiest way to remove leading is use of the Outer's "Foul Out" electrochemical bore cleaner.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

The lead bullets I buy for my .45ACP have not caused me any problems. They are cast at .452.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJack View Post
Thanx alot for the quick respones guys. Used caliper best i could for bore diameter of .441 and the lead was .450. I will def. pck up some copper chore boys and get to scrubbin =)
Not "bore" diameter, Groove diameter.

Should be around .451.

Your lead bullet should be .452, if it is truly .450 it is to small for lead.