lead for making bullets - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > lead for making bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2940 Times on 1532 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Now there is a bullet casting sticky if I've ever seen one!

BTW folks.... "better flow" equates to better "fill out" inside the mold which results in nice sharp corners instead of rounded edges on your projectiles.
Suck up

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default re what lead

I would like to thank everyone for their advise, I have ordered the Lymans cast bullet book. And am in the process of finding source for lead tin and antimony. I do load bullets fro a 270, 30-06, 338 and a 32 win special. I have just acquired a Pedersoli, Sharps 1874,45-70 replica, this is what I want to cast bullets for, am also getting into muzzle loaders so it was another area I wanted to cast bullets in.
Again thanks for the knowledge that you have given me

Mickey

Old 11-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #13

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Suck up
My first instinct was to break the sage coach driver's rule #2.
I went with my second choice.
Apparently I need to go with plan "C"?

Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I did not mean it in a bad way.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by micman View Post
I would like to thank everyone for their advise, I have ordered the Lymans cast bullet book. And am in the process of finding source for lead tin and antimony. I do load bullets fro a 270, 30-06, 338 and a 32 win special. I have just acquired a Pedersoli, Sharps 1874,45-70 replica, this is what I want to cast bullets for, am also getting into muzzle loaders so it was another area I wanted to cast bullets in.
Again thanks for the knowledge that you have given me

Mickey
Casting for the rifles is quite a different proposition that casting for something like the .45 ACP. You need much harder lead that is much more difficult to get cheap.
Linotype is the most common high grade alloy. Places like Rotometals carries it. Check estate sales and garage sales for loose type metal.

I get large quantities of lead, melt and flux it, then pour it into ingots. I use a sharpie to mark what alloy it is (L for linotype, W for wheelweights, V for virgin, etc). I use varying amounts of each for specific purposes (50/50 L/W for rifles, etc).

Muzzle loaders are a different animal entirely. Minie balls and shotgun slugs seem to perform better in 20/1 Lead/tin alloy. Tin is available in 50/50 bar solder from many plumbing supply stores. Rotometals also has this. 9 1/2lbs of virgin lead and one bar of 50/50 solder closely approximates 20/1 blend.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this will keep you busy for a while

Glen E. Fryxell, Cast bullets and firearm information and history

Comments on cast bullet alloys

I cast bullets in just about everything I shoot handgun and rifle.I use a mix of 9lbs ww to 1 lb of linotype.I had a bud measure it and it was 15 BHN.I have been using this mix for years.imho super hard alloys are not required.
here is a test @ 2200 fps with my 44 cal 265 gr ranch dog bullet.

HORNADY 265 VS RD265 [PICS AND DATA]

I was lucky years ago as I ran into a guy that bought a old printing shop and wanted to get "rid" of all the linotype laying around @ .25 a lb

pete

life member DAV.
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."

Old 11-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by micman View Post
I have just acquired a Pedersoli, Sharps 1874,45-70 replica, this is what I want to cast bullets for, am also getting into muzzle loaders so it was another area I wanted to cast bullets in.
What bullet do you have in mind for that 45-70?
As for your muzzleloader...I generally use plumbers lead or whatever soft source I can come up with for round ball. Have cast alot of them ftom old lead lab sinks...for hardness they test between pure lead and WW's.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #18

Casting is a labor of love for me. A good bullet caster will a BHN tester. I make my bullet lube which reduces cost. Cold Molds and low alloy temperature are often a source of malformed bullets. You have to cast your bullets to a BHN which will match your velocity. This will reduce leading. A hard bullet will lead your barrel at a low velocity. There are numerous firearms not designed to shot cast bullets because of the rifling. Alloy`s typically contain tin, lead, antimony, and arsenic. Wheel weights can very in BHN number. I typically utilize wheel weights, solder, lead and linotype to cast my bullets. Let me say that casting is not cheap. Good luck to you and let me know if I can help. Do not try Babbit.

patret

Old 11-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have pushed these to 2000 fps in my 375 ouch & ouch and 1600 fps in a win BB94 in 375 winchester.I have shot several deer with this bullet.boom flop.
pete

lyman 375449

life member DAV.
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."

Old 11-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by patret View Post
A good bullet caster will<have> a BHN tester.... You have to cast your bullets to a BHN which will match your velocity.....
patret
Not necessarily so. You can 'harden' lead by heat soaking--I've taken BHN 14 to over 27 with some oven bake time. Time itself will harden lead, some of my very old stash that started off as WW's at about 14 is almost BHN 30 now. BTW don't do any 'work' with the bullets like sizing as this will soften the bearing surface, and you are right back were you started.

FYI...I built my own BHN tester with a calipers, magnifier, shotgun wad compression gauge and a BB.