Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lead free Speer .45 brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2550 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Lead free Speer .45 brass

I just got a batch of Speer .45 ACP brass from their Lawman RHT lead free ammo. I noticed they have small pistol primers! I have never, ever seen small pistol primers in a .45 ACP.

Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if a standard small pistol primer will reliably set off the powder charge? should I consider moving up to mag primers in these cases? The factory primer is their Lead free compound. I wonder if they are hotter than normal?

I will do some comparison to other brass to see if they are any thicker than normal. With the small primer pocket it may open up the possibility of use for +P loads perhaps with small rifle primers (ala' .454 Casull).

Of course all of this depends on primer supplies getting back to quasi-normal.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's news to me. I've never seen a 45 acp with a small pistol primer. let me know what you find.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-01-2009, 02:23 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Winchester also had a case that used Small pistol primers.

The Winchester was called NT for NonToxic.

You can reload them if they are boxer primed but you just need to use small pistol primers.

Not a big deal is you keep them separate.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Odd, it would appear that only lead free ammo has the small primers. Could it just be due to a lighter bullet and therefore a lighter powder charge?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Odd, it would appear that only lead free ammo has the small primers. Could it just be due to a lighter bullet and therefore a lighter powder charge?
Probably not. The smaller flash hole found in cases using the small pistol or rifle primer has been shown to produce a hotter more intense "flame" in many cases than the larger primer and larger flash hole.

Obviously the smaller primers don't have the quantity of "primer mixture", but by concentrating the burning mixture through the small flash hole apparently produces a more consistent ignition of the powder charge.

This is also true of several rifle cases such as the 6mm and 22 PPC cartridge that was developed from the 7.62X39 round that originally used a large rifle primer, but at some point during the development of the PPC, this was changed to a small rifle primer and smaller flash hole which was shown to produce superior accuracy.

F. Prefect