Lead bullet vs FMJ, .45acp, 230 grain
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lead bullet vs FMJ, .45acp, 230 grain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 187 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Lead bullet vs FMJ, .45acp, 230 grain

Lead bullets are quite a bit cheaper than the FMJ bullets for reloading. I am wondering what the downside would be if I loaded lead bullets rather than FMJ for my Rock Island 1911. Would it require more cleaning of the bore with an all-lead bullet?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2834 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Shooting cast is a bit dirtier that jacketed or plated. You have to deal with a bit of leading on occasion and the vaporized bullet lube creates it's own brand of residue. Yes, it's a bit grungier. You will need to do more than run a bore snake through it, but it's not that big of a deal. The worst leading I get scrubs out with a bronze brush & Hoppe's. Try it and see. I think the savings is worth it. YMMV.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #3

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Lower velocity in some cases. I really find no more fouling shooting cast lead compared w/jacketed, unless you are talking a carbine/rifle length pistol or rifle caliber.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

I had feed problems with LSWC in my XDm 45 that I have not solved yet. I would suggest round nose or truncated cone bullets to start with. Or see if you can get some LSWC to try first before you buy a bunch of them. If you can't find a small box of them and want to try them, PM me and I will send you some to test.

Travis'n'Texas

Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2834 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staestc View Post
I had feed problems with LSWC in my XDm 45 that I have not solved yet. I would suggest round nose or truncated cone bullets to start with. Or see if you can get some LSWC to try first before you buy a bunch of them. If you can't find a small box of them and want to try them, PM me and I will send you some to test.
Try some of these in your XD:

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=78&category=5&secondary=13&keyw ords=
They ain't SWC, but they are a pretty good bullet.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #6

Lol I have an order in with Missouri Bullet company all ready! When I started looking for folks with similar feed issues that bullet can up over and over again. I have not given up on the LSWC yet though, since the XDm is supposed to have fixed the problems the XD had with them. But I have not had time to load and test any new rounds yet.

Travis'n'Texas

Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #7

Oh, and thanks for posting the link anyway!

Travis'n'Texas

Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5673 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

You should wear nitryl type gloves when cleaning lots of lead residue. A box of them will last a really long time.

Some indoor ranges ban exposed lead bullets

Thats about it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

A better way is to get yourself a Lee bullet mold, Lee bullet sizer, some tumble lube, a melting pot and find a good supply of tire weights.