Lead in 9mm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lead in 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 328 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Lead in 9mm

Talked to a guy about reloading and supplies the other night at a LGS. We got to talking about shooting lead vs. copper. I picked up 500 pack of .45 230 ball the day before and told him I was thinking about buying some lead for the 9mm. He said in his experience I would be wasting my money and time. Claimed that the small capacity of the case doesn't allow the charge to be powerful enough to stabalize the lead bullet and they will tumble.

Does anybody here reload 9mm with lead? It is definately a cheaper option. The rounds would be going through a LC9 and SR9 if hat makes a difference.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #2

Liked 158 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Is that his personal experience? Sounds like BS to me....but then again I have never tried it. Still sounds like BS.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 102

In the 90's I bought couple hundred 9mm 115 gr lead rds for about $6 a box. I didn't own a 9mm at the time but numerous people I invited w bring a 9mm and forget my warning - my clubs indoor range is lead only and they inevitably w show up w FMJ.

I just didn't have the heart to tell them they couldn't shoot, so I w just hand them the box of reloads. They seemed accurate enough if the shooter did his part. Just don't use reloads or lead in factory Glock or you'll add to the Kaboom legend.

Only issue w lead is if you load it hot - will lead up your barrel if you don't use a gas check. Use the hardest lead you can find to mitigate problem. Some use copper coated lead to avoid issue.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 01-12-2013 at 02:33 AM.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Berry's and Rainier plated bullets will run about 10 cents each. I have had good results with them in 38 spl and am prepping 9mm now to load about 1k rounds with the Rainier 124 grain HP. The Rainiers are rated for 1500 fps while the Berry's are rated to 1000 fps but are a little bit cheaper. It works out to the same price as practice loads with the high cost of primers but a copper plated lead HP can be pretty nasty. Very similar to the Nyclads in how they perform. Use the same loading data as lead.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #5

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

I load a 147 grain lead semi-wadcutter. They consitently make a perfect circle in the target. They do not tumble. They are very acurate.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Ill informed person. Cast bullets in 9mm offer some challenges but are by no means "a waste of time". In my experience, the cast bullets should be loaded at or very close to max oal. It seems the small case capacity causes pressures to peak very early. If the bullet is allowed to get some velocity up before contacting the rifling, they tend to fould the bore more.

Just load em long.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

"wasting my money and time. Claimed that the small capacity of the case doesn't allow the charge to be powerful enough to stabalize the lead bullet and they will tumble."

The old Practical Police Course that I had to endure for so many years included a 50 yard section (slow fire, some with a rickety post for a barricade). The lead re-loads (don't know where the County got them - nasty stuff) never had any detectable tumbling. Was using first generation S&W Model 59s. Biggest gripe was the mag springs were TOO stiff and caused feeding problems when new.

Sounds like the 'salesman' wanted to make a sale of more expensive jacketed bullets.

I load (in frequently) 9MMs for my brother's SIG. Lead 122gr TCFP (the weighed weight, not the 125 grains) over 4gr of 231 to get 1032 FPS. They shoot fine for me and my brother likes them (better, they don't cost him anything).

Enjoy,

OSOK