Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Large or small???? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/large-small-74567/)

colmustard 10-18-2012 05:20 AM

Large or small????

Ok I have been reloading .45 ACp for a while now, but just discovered that some manufactures have switched to small primers for .45 where large is and has been the standard. So now I have to look at all the brass I have been picking up and check. So do any of you know which companies still use large primers? So when I buy new bullets I can be sure I can reload them. Thanks for the info! :D

Shade 10-18-2012 04:21 PM

Although I have heard of the small primer .45ACP brass I have yet to see
one. I think they are a minority in the market. Time will tell.

I cast my own bullets for .452.

There are many options in lead and jacketed bullets. Either purchase on line
or go to your local components dealer.

colmustard 10-18-2012 04:35 PM

I have seem the small come from federal.

robocop10mm 10-18-2012 05:07 PM

This question has come up several times lately. The majority of the small primed .45 ACP I see is Speer. It comes from their "RHT" line of ammo. Lead free "green" ammo. Lead free primers. Speer makes only one size of lead free pistol primer, small. .45 is the only RHT ammo that would normally use a large primer so it eases their production of primers to simply make the brass to accept small primers. They work fine with standard small pistol primers, I have loaded a bunch. Just segregate and set aside for when small primers are easier to obtain than large.

Speer and Federal are owned by the same company so I believe the same explanatio applies to the Federal brass.

colmustard 10-19-2012 12:34 AM

Ok cool, guess I will be buying winchester white box from now on LOL. It is about 2 bucks more at wally world than the federal.

BillM 10-19-2012 12:54 AM

Winchester make a NT (non-toxic) line with lead free primers. The
Winchester 45 ACP NT ammo uses small primers.

MPsteelshooter87 10-19-2012 01:26 AM

Ive seen them in blazer cases as well, those and federal are the only too ive seen so far.

sdiver35 10-19-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPsteelshooter87 (Post 981920)
Ive seen them in blazer cases as well, those and federal are the only too ive seen so far.

Yep, I just checked and the ones I have which are small pocket are Blazer brass too.

JonM 10-19-2012 04:36 AM

i have a bucket for the 45acp small primers. when i get enough ill run a load of em and use em like normal. or trade em off for other brass.

Axxe55 10-19-2012 04:41 AM

the CCI Blazer brass cased ammo has the small primer pockets as well. never noticed until i deprimed them and was fixing to seat new primers.

which small primers do you use for these cases?