Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > laquer coated ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default laquer coated ammo

I purchased some .223 "JSC {The TULA Cartridge Works}" from Cabelas in Buda, TX.
It's in a white box. Can Anyone tell me if it is laquer coated?
DelTon says if I fire laquer coated ammo it will void my warranty.
Any help greatly appreciated.
John
325 370 6547

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I don't own a .223/5.56 but here is my two cents worth. Most firearm mfg. of this and other calibers say in the owners manuals not to shoot reloads or steel case ammo or it will void the warranty. There are to many mfg. for me to mention but I know of a few who say shooting steel case ammo in there rifles is perfectly fine.

It really doesn't matter if the steel case ammo is lacquer,polymer,zinc or brass plated as in the bear ammo you have a couple problems not associated with standard brass case ammo. The steel case ammo is dirtier,it will deposit more carbon in the gas system and chamber area,steel case ammo doesn't expand like brass which allows more gas blowby in the chamber area thus more carbon buildup in the chamber. On a tight AR chamber this can lead to cases sticking in the chamber,it's more of a problem when you switch to shooting brass case ammo after shooting the steel case without cleaning the rifle.

Some individuals have also experienced some extra extractor wear shooting steel case ammo but other also have no problems with it at all. Some of the steel case ammo also uses primer sealants and that does tend to build up in the extractor and firing pin channel. If you are considering using it just make sure you clean your rifle well before you fire standard brass case ammo through it or if you plan on shooting both shoot the brass case stuff first then the steel.

Last edited by res45; 07-25-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #3

Thx Res, in other words best to spend a little more for ammo.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Thx Res, in other words best to spend a little more for ammo.
Well I don't know if I would go that far,I was just making you aware of a couple issues to keep an eye on. I'm not so sure if I were the owner of a AR that I would shoot the steel case stuff myself from time to time. Here are a couple of articles I looked up from another board I'm on,I respect both of these guys opinions,they have been at it a lot longer than me.

Steel case ammo and AR extractors.
Steel case Ammo and the AR15 Extractor Wear issue (pics) All thoughts Welcomed

Brown Bear .223 is Junk.
Brown Bear .223 is JUNK! With Pics

Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #5

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Which is one of the reasons I bought a Saiga AK type in .223. It doesn't care what I feed it.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #6

I would stay away from the lacquered stuff. "Bear" ammo basically comes in 3 grades, low grade Brown Bear is steel cased ammo with a dark lacquer coating to avoid corrosion, medium grade is the Silver Bear, steel cased with a zinc coating to avoid corrosion, and Golden Bear which is their best, steel cased with a brass coated steel case. All Bear brand ammo is made by Barnaul and is notoriously dirty to shoot, more especially the Brown Bear, the lacquer can gum up your chamber and extractor. I shoot Silver Bear a lot, very dirty. After approximately 6000 rounds through my Del-Ton I have had no issues and the extractor looks fine. I would say shoot up what you have, clean very well and next go-round try some Silver.