Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Just starting shotgun reloading...need info (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/just-starting-shotgun-reloading-need-info-43180/)

TimL2952 05-29-2011 07:45 PM

Just starting shotgun reloading...need info

We have a mec jr. reloader and a 12ga., 1 oz. charge bar with a #32 bushing and we would like to reload 12ga. 1oz. #8 shot shells.

We just wanted to know if we have the correct bushing or if we need another one. all advice is appreciated.

Also looking for a website thats got some cheap but good quality loading supplies (powder, primers, shot and wads)

tonydewar 05-29-2011 08:50 PM

you need toget your hands on a reloading manual figure out case you are reloading and work from there powder charge type and wads are going to be load spacific i buy my wads (clay buster) from midway shot powder and primers i order in bulk through my gun club saves on haz mat and shipping fees

robocop10mm 05-30-2011 05:04 AM

The bar will throw 1 oz payloads of shot./ The bushing regulates the powder. You will need to consult a load manual to see how much of a particular powder that bushing will drop and see if that fits into the realm of an acceptable load.

Remember, EVERY THING is specific in shot shell loading. EXACT hull, EXACT wad, EXACT charge of a particular powder, even EXACT primer.

556plinker 05-30-2011 06:30 AM

The powder bushing might not be the right size for the type of powder you are using. As stated earlier you need ot consult a reloading manual specific for MEC and it will tell you. It is very dangerous to assume that a powder bushing is universal when it comes to powders....STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING RIGHT NOW.

TimL2952 05-30-2011 07:08 AM

well, my brother and I are planning on using the pink Clay Buster wads, cheddite primers, Aliant promo powder and the near 2,000 Winchester AA hulls we have.

mmszbi 05-30-2011 09:47 AM

Go to MEC's website, they have a complete database of bushing/powder combinations. A #32 bushing will drop different amounts of different powders so it is VERY important to use the proper bushing for the amount of any powder you choose to reload with.
MEC also has an adjustable charge bar, so you can adjust the shot drop and the powder drop and not have to spend a lot of money on different bars and bushings.

robocop10mm 05-30-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy (Post 514392)
well, my brother and I are planning on using the pink Clay Buster wads, cheddite primers, Aliant promo powder and the near 2,000 Winchester AA hulls we have.

The Claybuster pink is the replacement for the WAA 12 SL. A good wad for 7/8 or 1 oz loads. Nothing wrong with the Cheddite primers (I generally use the Win 209). Alliant Promo is where things get sticky. Alliant does not show any data for the AA hull and 1 oz of shot using Promo.

There is data for 7/8 oz that is usable. (NOT FOR 1 oz LOADS)
16.5 gr Promo for 1200 fps (a very light shooting load)
up to
19 gr Promo for 1300 fps

Neither Alliant nor MEC list a bushing chart that includes Promo. Alliant lists Promo as having the same burn rate as Red Dot, but is more dense. It requires a smaller bushing than red dot to acheive the same charge weight.

For a reference, MEC lists bushing #32 as dropping 19.2 gr of Red Dot. Presumably this would be MUCH more Promo.

Long story short (I know, too late). Time for a new bar/bushing AND a good loading manual.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

TimL2952 05-30-2011 06:39 PM

Thats about as much as I had figured. I checked both MEC and Alliant websites before posting here as a last resort and I found the same...No listing for the AA hulls.

We haven't bought any powder yet, so while we're on the topic do you guys have any suggestions for bulk powder??

tonydewar 05-31-2011 01:47 AM

AA rem nitro win super sport load the same it sounds as if your using the same recipe as i am but i use green dot and cheddit primers need to get out to the shop and check my bushing

mmszbi 05-31-2011 04:22 PM

Go buy the RCBS big book of shotgun reloading. Complete and very detailed full color hull identification section and thousands and thousands of loads listed for each one...by hull, by powder, by fps, by wad. Excellent shotgun reloading resource.