just a kid but love shooting want to start reloading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > just a kid but love shooting want to start reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default just a kid but love shooting want to start reloading

i am interested and want to start reloading i was just wondering how much will it cost to start up an whats the best way to go about this? thanks!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 24

That's a loaded question.... no pun intended. The cost would depend on which equipment you choose. As a beginner, a single stage press is recommended. Lee sells the least expensive. Depending on what you are reloading, you'll need to choose a set of dies. Again, the Lee carbide dies are the best deal on the market. You didn't mention what type of firearm, so I am assuming pistol. If you are reloading rifle, you'll need to consider other factors and costs. If I were you, start out with Lee equipment, budget for approximatel $200 (equipment only) and get yourself a couple of good reloading books. Of course there is also the cost of the reloading components such as primers, bullets, cases, and powder (assuming you're reloading your own once fired spent cases). Do some research. Youtube is great for that as a starting point. It also wouldn't hurt to buy a reloading book prior to purchasing anything else.

Last edited by filter777; 01-05-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: missed a word

Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #3

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

What do you want to reload? How many calibers? What firearms will you be loading for? We will need to know these things first. I am sure there will be a lot help for your reloading project.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filter777
That's a loaded question.... no pun intended. The cost would depend on which equipment you choose. As a beginner, a single stage press is recommended. Lee sells the least expensive. Depending on what you are reloading, you'll need to choose a set of dies. Again, the Lee carbide dies are the best deal on the market. You didn't mention what type of firearm, so I am assuming pistol. If you are reloading rifle, you'll need to consider other factors and costs. If I were you, start out with Lee equipment, budget for approximatel $200 (equipment only) and get yourself a couple of good reloading books. Of course there is also the cost of the reloading components such as primers, bullets, cases, and powder (assuming you're reloading your own once fired spent cases). Do some research. Youtube is great for that as a starting point. It also wouldn't hurt to buy a reloading book prior to purchasing anything else.
thank you!! and fir now 9mm want to look ant .45 and eventually 357 but start with 9mm where is the best place to get this equipment? thank you!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
What do you want to reload? How many calibers? What firearms will you be loading for? We will need to know these things first. I am sure there will be a lot help for your reloading project.
i want to stat off with 9mm but eventually .45 357 and 22

Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

First and formost, get a good loading book. The Lyman's 49th edition or the ABC's of reloading are excellent choices. They will give you significant insight into the items you will need. Read the book (or books) from cover to cover and most of your questions will be answered. The book will stay with you for a lifetime as they contain load data you will use time and time again.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #7

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Man!
That reminds me a little of me - many years ago. Very young - no money. I mixed my own gunpowder out of chemicals - and other stuff ( don't want to say..) Built rockets and what were called zip guns - out of tubing. I was lucky I didn't kill myself. I had one mix blow up in my face - no eyebrows left. Lots of stuff....

You'll be safer ... right????

Try...

Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Hi Trevor! As the folks have said- start by doing some reading. After that, you will know why you cannot reload .22 rimfire. There are several sources of loading equipment, including used equipment (ebay) but READ first.

If you are under 18, you will need involvement of your parents to buy powder and primers. As hazardous materials, they are age controlled. How old are you?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Hi Trevor! As the folks have said- start by doing some reading. After that, you will know why you cannot reload .22 rimfire. There are several sources of loading equipment, including used equipment (ebay) but READ first.

If you are under 18, you will need involvement of your parents to buy powder and primers. As hazardous materials, they are age controlled. How old are you?
17 and wow I do need to read I did not know that about 22 thanks I am looking for a book now

Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Trevor- get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. You can find it on Amazon or possibly alibris.com Read the whole book, and come back to us with your questions- we'll be glad to help.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.