Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Just got my new xl 650 this past weekend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just got my new xl 650 this past weekend

I got my new dillon this past weekend at a gun store that had 10% off everything in store for the anniversary.

-650 press with .45acp on the box think its set up for it I hope, minus the dies.
-bullet tray kit
-dillon .45 acp dies
-lyman stainless steel electric digital caliper
-dillon tool kit for 650 with holder
-dillon powder check system
-650 spare parts kit

I pretty much bought everything they had in stock that I would eventually use or had a use for on the dillon equipment aspect.

Now I am waiting on the weekend to go home from school and go to my local gun store and buy the rest of the reloading materials and equipment I need to crack out some ammo. I thought this was a very impressive deal as I received a 10% discount on everything.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It sounds like your on your way! I have a dillon 550 for my 308,223 44,9mm.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5240 Times on 2732 Posts
Likes Given: 329

i picked up the xl650 video from dillon recently and i learned a bit watching it. this was after nearly 5 years of using the xl650

a good tumbler, case trimmer and chamfer tool, and maybe a seperator to get the media out of the brass easy.

the dillon wrench set for the xl650 is pretty damn handy.

ive got a lot of toolheads just so i dont have to keep re-setting my sizing dies.

if you find yourself using non-dillon dies having spare dillon lock rings so they fit the wrench easy. rcbs lock rings kinda suck as do other brands that use set screws

an electronic scale is very easy and quick but not as accurate as a beam scale. the difference doesnt really matter tho.

just some ideas

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #4

I have a reloading book, tumbler, media, separator, on my list with bullets primer and powder. I do not however need a case trimmer as of yet as I plan on only reloading handgun ammo. Once I see a need to reload rifle Ill invest in the necessary parts to trim cases.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

pistol brass needs trimming on occasion but not nearly as often as rifle

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #6

Ive been told that since I have all once fired brass currently that I do not need to worry about trimming

Old 09-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dillon has good equipment and they know it thats why they charge $$$$

Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have 650 envy!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #9

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
pistol brass needs trimming on occasion but not nearly as often as rifle
I have never seen any pistol brass that required trimming in 28 years of reloading.

T-rav

I didn't seel a Dillon strong mount in your list. The 650 is a large machine and requires a extremely strong mounting. The Dillon strong mount helps on stabilizing the machine because it bolted to the bench in a much wider pattern providing better stability than just bolting the base of the machine to the bench.

Here is a picture:

Other than that - Good luck - And read the assembly manual for the 650. It has a lot of parts.

Last edited by anm2_man; 09-16-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
I have never seen any pistol brass that required trimming in 28 years of reloading.
45acp

i get about 2 or 3 out of 500 that need trimming its not many but for range ammo it doesnt matter much i just pull em trim then reload them the next time. had one tonite out of 200 fired that was overlong. mostly its from range pickups. new brass need to be checked ive found quite a few new empties that are a smidge overlong.

havent had the issue with 44mag