just got my first reloading press - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > just got my first reloading press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Having used both the lee progressive and the dillion 550 the dillion wins hands down. My lee press was finiky and often had primer failures and even some timing issues. I started with a lee single stage press and wore it out.

Lee dies are as good as any out there and using the final crimp die makes the ammo chamber nicely. I now have a rock chucker single stage for rifle and set up the dillion for pistol and resized rifle and have virtually no problems.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i thought I'd give an update. today i shot reloads for the 3rd time and i finally got it right! not a single failure to feed. i just needed to up the powder a bit. i shot about 60 out of it today without incident.

thanks for everyones help.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #23

I would have thought the same thing bout' starting off easy and simple. Although all the conservative gunnies in the neighborhood say Dillon progressive is the way to go. Lifetime guarantee and ease of and accuracy in use. You can't beat it "Like a sore a
sore ****."

Old 04-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #24

Default Back into reloading

Hello: I am new to this forum. Just started back reloading after 26 yrs. I picked one heck of a time to start back. Had a RCBS rock chucker back then, got a new one to replace it. I have had a time finding powder, primers, brass, and lead. Finally got everything together, ( only took 2 months ).

I would also like to get a progressive press. I have looked at the RCBS Pro 2000. But, the more I go on line and read, the more I come across the Dillion
550 and 650. It would be used to reload 38sp, 40, and 223. It is not about saving money, it gives me something to do.

Question: will the RCBS dies work with the dillion.

I would like to hear about the pros and cons of either press.

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

jack

Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Welcome In! razorback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback View Post
Hello: I am new to this forum. Just started back reloading after 26 yrs. I picked one heck of a time to start back. Had a RCBS rock chucker back then, got a new one to replace it. I have had a time finding powder, primers, brass, and lead. Finally got everything together, ( only took 2 months ).

I would also like to get a progressive press. I have looked at the RCBS Pro 2000. But, the more I go on line and read, the more I come across the Dillion
550 and 650. It would be used to reload 38sp, 40, and 223. It is not about saving money, it gives me something to do.

Question: will the RCBS dies work with the dillion.

I would like to hear about the pros and cons of either press.

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

jack
First welcome to the forum, razor! Prices a LITTLE higher than they were 26yr. ago HUH?? For me- I have a 35yr,+ RockChucker and a Dillon RL550.Like them both for their own use. Yes, you can use RCBS dies with the Dillon, but it is a small pain in the a@@. The first stage on my 550,decaps,re sizes,primes on the up-stroke-rotate the case, the next station bells out the case+drops measured powder, from the powder measure into the case, the next station you install+seat bullet to adjusted length, the next station crimps the loaded round. Dillon dies are set up to operate in this order/system. Dillon dies(Pistol) are all carbide sizers, have more of a "Belled" base, for easier progressive loadings, take apart to clean without losing adjustments, and are basically the best dies for their press.
When I can $ wise, I replace my RCBS,Lee,Lyman etc dies with Dillon-They just work better for handgun loads IMO PS Go to the Intro section to let everyone know you're new here=They'll welcome you!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976