just got my first reloading press - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > just got my first reloading press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Turret press

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
My cousin went to Chico State. I don't think it has the rep of a gunny school, but something else.....

Anyway, is a turret press the same as a single stage that just rotates to what task you want to do, or do you have to change things around before the next step? Which would be easier, the single stage or turret?
You're right on the money G man. The advantage over a single stage is that you only adjust the die set once, and then rotate the turret to the operation you are doing. You may adjust the seater plug up/down as you change bullet weight/style, but thats about it. It is a great style, if you are only loading one caliber. I like the Dillion RL550b, where I change tool heads when changing cals., with the dies/power measure already adjusted The only draw back to a turret press,is that they are not as strong as a "O" type press. Heavy pressure needed for large 30-06/Large Mag. resizing, and most turrets won't hold up to that use.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks BB, I get surplus thirty aught, so all the brass is saved. If I ever get into reloading, it will be for Mak, .32, .30 Carbine, .38, .357, and Swiss as well.

9x18=Makarov

Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

BB - "The advantage over a single stage is that you only adjust the die set once, and then rotate the turret to the operation you are doing."

Have you ever tried securing the die lock ring at the correct point of adjustment so you can remove and replace each die without further change? That works good for me.

Having a collection of turrets and swapping them (and a powder measure for each turret?) to keep dies adjusted seems to be a LOT of overkill for such a simple thing. And only the Dillion (very expensive) and Lee turrets are easily swapped, none of the other turrets are practical for that.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #14

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

It all really depends on what you want to do.

If you want high percission ammo that is good for varmint hunting out to 400 or 500 yards then you want to get a big beffy single stage press. That would be the Forester Co-AX or Redding Ultramag RCBS Rock chucker.

If you want percission and some more speed then get a turret. If you want speed and good percission then get a progressive.

I have disliked lee products for a long time. My brother snapped a press in half resizing 222 rem brass. I bought one of there hand priming tools and on the 6th primer it snapped in half. I got a set of lee universal shell holders that would not accept 75% of my brass unless I hit it with a hammer to get it in and out. Not my idea of a quality product line if you ask me.

For starting out I always say to start on a single stage. There is less going on on a single stage for a new reloader to deal with. Starting with a progressive can be done. I think there is way to much for a brand new reloader to be paying attition to on a progressive. You have every single action happening all at once on a progressive. That is a lot of stuff to be paying attition to for someone who doesn't really know how to reload. I am not talking down to anyone just stating why i do things the way I do.

I relaoded for 20 years before stepping it up to a progressive. My dad has been reloading for 50+ years and has never even changed presses let alone get a progressive. He is still using an old beast Hollywood single stage press that has well over 1,000,000rounds loaded on it by 6 different people. Shoot My powder measure was one my grandfather bought and it is still going strong. I have sent it back to RCBS once to have it rebuilt. It came back and the only thing old on it was the body everything else was replaced. So investing into quality relaoding equipment is not stupid it is just that an investment. my son will still be using my RCBS and my Dillon when the lee has long ago given up the ghost.

You can't beat dillons warranty lifetime no bs and they mean that. I read a story once that a guy was taking his 550b to his base camp in alaska and the chopper hit some rough air and it fell out smashing into a river bed after they landed and hiked back to get it they called dillon to order a new one and dillon said send what you have back. He did and in a week had a brand new dillon 550b show up on his door step with the dies that were in it and they were adjusted properly as well.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #15

Default Some things never change

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
BB - "The advantage over a single stage is that you only adjust the die set once, and then rotate the turret to the operation you are doing."

Have you ever tried securing the die lock ring at the correct point of adjustment so you can remove and replace each die without further change? That works good for me.

Having a collection of turrets and swapping them (and a powder measure for each turret?) to keep dies adjusted seems to be a LOT of overkill for such a simple thing. And only the Dillion (very expensive) and Lee turrets are easily swapped, none of the other turrets are practical for that.
Yes, as a matter of fact, I have secured lock rings. Do it all the time on my RockChucker.
NOTHING was said about changing out TURRETS on any press. DILLON tool heads get changed out. DETAILS-DETAILS

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"Originally Posted by 1hole
BB - "The advantage over a single stage is that you only adjust the die set once, and then rotate the turret to the operation you are doing....I have secured lock rings. Do it all the time on my RockChucker. NOTHING was said about changing out TURRETS on any press."

That's true, sorry about jumping to a conclusion you did not quite state. But my main point was addresing your statement that "the advantage of a turret is that you only adjust the die once and rotate the turret..." Silly of me to think you might mean swapping turrets to maintain die adjustments.

But, now we are back to why do you have to readjust dies that you have locked the ring on before removing and replacing them? And, as a relivant - detailed, perhaps - point of fact, both Dillion AND Lee turret "tool heads" are easy to exchange. Both are good but Lee's are quite inexpensive while Dillion's are not.

My Rockchucker II is no more of an "accuracy tool", as such, than my friends Lee Challenger. If both are used correctly, and with the same dies and cases, the quality of the ammo is equal. That's not by flimsy web supported aligations of any quality differences but according to my concentricity gage and then confirmed on targets.

IF I had to replace my 'Chucker tomorrow it would be with a Lee Classic Cast. Its very strong, its spent primer catcher actually works, the lever is fully adjustable and it's NOT made in China! Not to mention all the money saved, if money matters to anyone.

Last edited by 1hole; 03-25-2009 at 01:43 AM.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 AM   #17

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a single stage lee press that I use for projectile re-sizing and completed round de-milling. It works great !

Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #18

Default The systems work for us.

1Hole, we're on the same line of thinking-for the most part. My reply to ScottG, was ment to describe the process of-resize a batch of cases-rotate the turret-bell the cases-(install measured power charge)-rotate the turret-seat all bullets-rotate the turret-crimp all cases-Done. NO removal of any dies from press, or any adjustment at all needed-just rotate the turret to change the operation, that you are doing-no screwing out or in of individual dies, as done on a single stage press. As for Lee-vs-Dillon/RCBS/LYMAN, or any other brand, that is owner preference IMO. That is each to his own preference. I think that the Base to any handloading is the Press. Buy the Best press that you can afford. My likes are the Dillon RL550, for my handgun loads, and the RCBS RockChucker, for my rifle loads. These Top quality presses give me the best base to build around the rest of my handloading operations-again this is only IMO My main problem, on the Internet, is that I have some problems expressing my thoughts, in an orderly fashion. Too many years out of High School, and NO College, is catching up with me!HA-HA

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #19

RCBS is king!

If you break it, they want to see what/how you did it so they can "engineer the stupid out of the design." I broke a primer tool. My stupid fault.

RCBS replaced it, and sent me a box of free goodies too.

They're all decent if you treat them like the machinist's tools they are.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:18 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have two Lee presses - an "O" frame Challenger which is just as strong as ANY single stage press made, and the old Lee 3-die Turret press. Both are about 20 years old and I have never had a problem with them or any other Lee product. I wouldn't waste my money on their scale or powder measure - for that level of accuracy I only trust Redding. Most of my dies are Lee and they are excellent dies which include a factory crimp die - this item is always sold separately with all other die manufacturers, but for $26 Lee gives it to you with their Sizing and Seating die set which alos includes a shell holder, powder scoop (useless) and load data. I have been producing match-grade ammo for many years using Lee equipment and have NO complaints. I had a Rock Chucker years ago and gave it to a friend when he wanted to learn how to reload - I wish I kept it, but the Lee does the same job! Their pilots and lock stud case trimmer are easy to use, well made, and cheap. Someday I will spend the $600 and buy a Dillon 550, but I have never NEEDED one.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"