just got my first reloading press
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > just got my first reloading press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default just got my first reloading press

I got a lee pro 1000 press. Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Lee Pro 1000

the thing did not come with any assembly instructions or anything. does anyone have any idea on what is the proper way to put this thing together?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Good Press

Juice, I've heard this is a good press. I haven't used one. I have an old RockChucker, for single stage, and a Dillon 550 for my faster needs. At the risk of being slammed here, I will tell you that I've seen a lot of info on this press, on that OTHER gun forum. (THR)

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #3

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would try to got to the Lee Reloading site where you may be able to download the instructions. I know Dillon has them on there's

Old 03-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I am not a fan of lee reloading products. The ones I have used were all of the poorest quality. Everything Lee I have ever owned broke within a matter of minutes to hours of use.

I believe in buying quality once and leaving the junk for other people.

If you go surf THR you will find tons of red koolaid drinkers. All of them will tell you that with a little tweeking your lee will be a great press. That is nice if you want to tweek something brand new. My Dillon RL550B came out of the box and on to the bench working and working flawlessly. I didn't have to tweek anything on my dillon.

Enjoy your press and let us know how it is working for you.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default You get what you pay for.

Tango, you're right, Dillon makes probably the best equip. out there. I load all my handgun loads on my RL550B also. They are second to none with their back up service, and warranty. For a person not sure if handloading is their "cup of tea", I suggest a less costly route to start off with. Lee can fill that slot for some people. Hell, my FIRST loads ever, were put together with a Lee Loader-remember them-place the empty brass in the die, then knock it in with a plastic hammer-knock the primer in with that hammer,etc. Had a few primers go off, and scare the sh@t out of me! HA Tango, you,and I have made the decision to make quality loads, with quality equipt. Not everyone has made that choice yet.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I would have bought a nicer press but i didn't want to spend too much because I know absolutely nothing abotu reloading and I've never done it before so i didn't want to commit too much money in something i dont even know if i'll be doing it in a year

Old 03-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
I would have bought a nicer press but i didn't want to spend too much because I know absolutely nothing abotu reloading and I've never done it before so i didn't want to commit too much money in something i dont even know if i'll be doing it in a year
That is tottaly understandable. I myself would have went with a quality single stage press. something from Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Redding. I perfer RCBS relaoding products it is a hometown thing I lived 35 miles from the RCBS factory in Oroville CA.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I perfer RCBS relaoding products it is a hometown thing I lived 35 miles from the RCBS factory in Oroville CA.
thats interesting. I went to undergrad at Chico State for about 2 years. We wasted many a summers day down at lake Oroville. I never knew there was an RCBS factory there.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

My cousin went to Chico State. I don't think it has the rep of a gunny school, but something else.....

Anyway, is a turret press the same as a single stage that just rotates to what task you want to do, or do you have to change things around before the next step? Which would be easier, the single stage or turret?

9x18=Makarov

Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Your press is fine, thousands of satisfied users are out there. If you check the Lee web site they have instructions for pretty much everything they make.

I've loaded for well over four decades, have experience with quite a few brands and models of reloading tools. For the life of me, I can't understand how some people break or bend so much Lee equipment! If the user has a casual understanding of things mechanical and uses some thought in what they are doing, Lee tools are fine. If not, massive cast iron and solid steel is the only way to go I guess.