The joys of looking for a new powder. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > The joys of looking for a new powder.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

My wife wanted to go to Wichita yesterday, so that made for another round of checking for supplies in town. First, I stopped at Cabela's only to find they were worse off than the last time I was in. I think I have more powder then them. Then I stopped into Finley's. He has a good selection of powder every time I stop in. This time, as I start to scan the powder, I find not one, but two pounds of w231. I picked one up and thought about the second, but know that someone else will need that more than I do. Then, I started looking at the powders to find something for my 45 Colt. The black powder worked find, if a little dirty, but I was still looking for something else. I found a few powders that I needed to check against my list, and was stating to pull it out when it hit me that my plan had been to try 231 first! I have been looking for replacement to 231 for so long, that I almost forgot. Good luck on y"alls hunting.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #12

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I think I am down to two pounds of 231, normally I have 4 to 5 lbs on hand. I use it 99.9% of the time for pistol loads. So the moral of the story is if you need one pound buy two, one for now and one just in case.

Jim

Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsca View Post
Then, I started looking at the powders to find something for my 45 Colt.

Unique has been the "standard" powder for the .45 Colt for over a century.

I' ve used a dozen others, but always come back to Unique.

Winston Churchill

Old 04-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Unique has been the "standard" powder for the .45 Colt for over a century.

I' ve used a dozen others, but always come back to Unique.
Thanks for the help, but I still have not seen any unique. At this point, I will give the 231 a try cause it is something that I have on hand. If I don't like it and find some unique later, than I may try it. Thanks again Locutus.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsca View Post

Then, this weekend, I was at a show in town, and found Clays. I know I have seen data for Clays in the standard loads for 45 Colt! I have seen data for Clays for many of the rounds that I reload, so this could be a good addition for me. I am good now. I pick it up and take it home. I start opening up my books and seeing two different "Clays" listed. This raises the red flag. I put the books down, and pick the computer back up to check that the two different Clays are the same. After reading up a bit, I now know about three "Clays". I got a pound of International Clays, and so far, I have not found anything that I can use this for. I should point out, that I have done a bit of shot shell reloading, and it looks like I may be able to use it for that.

So, has anybody else had problems looking for a new powder that they can start working up a load for?
Looking at the powder speed chart, International is only a bit slower burning than 231, or PB. It seems to me that it wouldn't take too much "development to work up a reasonable load. I have done this load development with Alcan 5, and PB for my 10mm Auto (both shotgun powders with no published handgun data, at least for 10mm), with good results. My Bro just got some International Clays and is going to build up some 45 ACP. I will post results as they emerge, but since primers are unavailable it may be some time.