The joys of looking for a new powder.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > The joys of looking for a new powder.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default The joys of looking for a new powder.

So I started getting everything together to reload 45 Colt a few months ago. I was going to use 231, but that was about the time that I noticed I needed more the next time I was in the store, and that was about the time that everything disappeared. Not a problem. I would just start looking for a different powder. As it was, I was going to start looking for a different powder for the loads that I was using 231 for.

It would go something like this. First, I would look every place I could think of, to find a load for power I already had. Besides the 231, that list had WSF, Longshot, and Lil'Gun.

Quickly, I found many loads for Lil'Gun, but they were Ruger/TC only. I couldn't find loads that were more inline with what I was looking for. I did find people saying that it was a bad idea to take Lil'Gun lower than the Ruger/TC loads.

In this looking, I would notice many other loads, and this would be in the back of my mind as I would stand looking at the almost bare shelves of powder looking for a powder that I could use. As I was doing this a few weeks ago, I noticed 296. I know that I have seen many loads for 296! I pick it up without another thought. When I get home and start looking for a load that I would like to try, I find that, yes I did see many loads, but they are about like the Lil'Gun, and in the Ruger/TC pages.

Then, this weekend, I was at a show in town, and found Clays. I know I have seen data for Clays in the standard loads for 45 Colt! I have seen data for Clays for many of the rounds that I reload, so this could be a good addition for me. I am good now. I pick it up and take it home. I start opening up my books and seeing two different "Clays" listed. This raises the red flag. I put the books down, and pick the computer back up to check that the two different Clays are the same. After reading up a bit, I now know about three "Clays". I got a pound of International Clays, and so far, I have not found anything that I can use this for. I should point out, that I have done a bit of shot shell reloading, and it looks like I may be able to use it for that.

After this last bust, I sat down at the computer again, looking for some idea that may help. The good thing at this point is I can still find 45 Colt around here, most of the time. As I looked around, I came across a few people talking about using black powder in this cartridge that was made for black powder. In the last four months, I don't know how many times I have seen people talking about black powder in 45 Colt. It hit me that I am not looking for a hot load, and that I have ffg and fffg powder. No more than I go out and shoot my black powder, I have something like 10-20 years of powder. Why did it take me so long to finally try this. Now I have some work up loads in both ffg and fffg. I hope this works out, cause one of the few powders I have seen when I have gone to the store is black powder.

So, has anybody else had problems looking for a new powder that they can start working up a load for?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #2

Liked 354 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Selection is pretty slim. I'm working on the same as you in .30-06. I picked up a lb of Hunter and found there i only load data in the heavier bullets. So I got out my new edition of the Hornady manual and photocopied the section for 150gr bullets. Cut that down and put it in my wallet.

Now when I am considering a powder, I can pull out a load data sheet and make a decision. I did one for .223 but ran into 8lbs of Tac. I'm set for awhile.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7025 Times on 3889 Posts
Likes Given: 6763

The "standard" hand load for the .45 Colt has been a 255 grain bullet over 8.0 grains of Unique. That load has been winning matches and killing varmints for a hundred years.

Unique is mighty hard to beat in the old Colt.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #4

That's a good idea with the copier. I will have to try that for the stuff I am still looking for. I have been trying to get things together for 223 and 7.62x54r over the last few months as well. It turns out that powder is not the only thing that I have had to look long and hard for. I have been able to pick up dies and what not for each. I am still looking for a few things to get them going. Last weekend, I was in a store and asked for small rifle primers. The man behind the counter told me 3.45/100 and limit of 500. I was game for it as his limit let him have some in stock when I walked into the store. He pulled out 500, taped them together, and I paid for them and the rest of my goodies, and put them in the bag and ran out to the rest of my day. This weekend as I was reloading, I noticed that I couldn't see the small rifle primers. I did find 500 small pistol primers taped together. I will use them, but that means that I am still looking for small rifle primers. For now, I will have to be happy with prepping my brass. So far, I have only done strait wall, so I am seeing a big learning curve on the necked cases.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The "standard" hand load for the .45 Colt has been a 255 grain bullet over 8.0 grains of Unique. That load has been winning matches and killing varmints for a hundred years.

Unique is mighty hard to beat in the old Colt.
That is a load that I have seen many places, and it looks good in all of the books that I have, but for one problem. I have not found any Unique. I have kept an eye out for it, as I have seen many loads for it in many calibers. Kind of like Clays and a few others. Thanks for the help anyhow.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #6

Liked 1284 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 613

I use TiteGroup for all of my 45 Colt loads. It's not a beginners powder though,you have to watch what your doing or you can very easily double/triple charge your cases with it.

Look here,you might find something -
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 03-25-2013 at 03:28 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #7

Liked 2082 Times on 1148 Posts
Likes Given: 1369

I use Titegroup too. It is great for big cases with a small amount of powder. It is not position sensitive like HP-38 is. You can use it for light cowboy action loads or magnum loads, and just about anything in between.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7025 Times on 3889 Posts
Likes Given: 6763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I use Titegroup too. It is great for big cases with a small amount of powder. It is not position sensitive like HP-38 is. You can use it for light cowboy action loads or magnum loads, and just about anything in between.
In my (limited) experience with Titegroup
it's great for light target loads, but not so much for heavier (high velocity) loads.

Better than Bullseye, but................................

Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1894 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 1429

Looked for Ramshot Silhouette for about a month to start working up a new 45 acp load with no luck. Wont say I gave up I just decided to stick to what I have until this blows over.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 672 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 2733

Been a bunch of years since I reloaded,
I remember using PB.
Cant get to the powder locker to see what else.