Jacketed round nose
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Jacketed round nose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Jacketed round nose

I am looking to stock up on ammunition pretty soon. But of course buying the high end stuff like hornady critical defense can get real expensive real quick. So I was thinking of just going with a quality round nose ammo that is not a low end target load. I feel like penetration means more than expansion. After all, military and police use non hollow point ammo. I figured this way I can double or triple my quantity for the same price of less in the high end hollow point category. Am I right about this or am I mistaken? Also if you know of some rounds hat are better than others in the fmj ball ammo group, I'm all ears. Thanks for your help.

P.S.
I also have an F.I.E. 25 that I like to carry when I can't carry. It hides great. But again I feel like penetration is more important than expansion and we all know 25s SUCK for penetration. So with that being said, all put in it is fmj round nose. Should I go with hollow point?

And no, I'm not talking about stocking up on 25acp ammo. But yes I do keep some. I'm talking about my main carry rounds, 380, 40, etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You want to buy the ammo, and not reload?
I would use FMJ-RN for practice and keep the high end defense for use as intended. You can stock up on Wolf or Milsurp.
If you can, look for FMJ-FN, as that has a bit more impact on target than a RN.
Then, you might want to look into reloading.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9551 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Yes, the military uses non-hollow point ammo. This is due to the Geneva/ Hague accords, NOT due to effectiveness.

And whoever told you that police departments do not use hollow points- I would suggest you not rely on information from them on anything important.

For rapid incapacitation, the most effective is a large wound channel that reaches vital areas. The larger the wound channel, better the chance of getting something that matters. The larger the wound channel, faster the blood loss. Incapacitation comes from (a) disconnecting the brain from the rest of the body, or (b) loss of oxygenated blood causes shutdown of the brain. A FMJ will make a wound channel about the identical diameter as the bullet itself. A secondary is that when your opponent is in enough pain, he stops (sometimes)- don't count on that.

You are about to make some very bad choices for a defensive round. Use the FMJ for practice, not for carry.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 12-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6264

I agree with c3.

And do not believe the old wives tale that penetration is more important than expansion.

If you ever have the very unpleasant experience of having to be a witness at a few autopsies you'll lose that belief very quickly.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #5

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Hollow points are the best route like the others said. The bigger the cup on the point of the bullet usually the better wound capability.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #6

Liked 1113 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 734

See, I'm looking to go the opposite way of the OP. The other day I ordered a case of 40 Hornady Critical Duty. Yes, very expensive, but when I thought about it recently, all I have stocked up is FMJ stuff from Walmart. Which is better than nothing, but.......

Old 12-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6014 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Hollow points are better for defense in just about everything except small bullets like 380, 25, 32, 22. They lack the energy to get to the vitals reliably in anything but fmj format

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...