Issues with feeding - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Issues with feeding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
Somehow I doubt that pictures of me will solve this problem.

Why oh Why does a picture of a beautiful woman turn me into a blabbering idiot????

Old 11-27-2009, 02:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Why oh Why does a picture of a beautiful woman turn me into a blabbering idiot????
Oh it doesn't. But it may bring out,,,,,,,,

Sorry I was going to be mean, but you were too kind to me, so I couldn't. You are not a blabbering idiot. And thanks.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #13

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
Maybe I pressed them in too far? But they don't go below the Min OAL.
I have run into that before myself. If your OAL is too short, the casing can wedge itself between the bottom and the top of the chamber. The bullet nose needs to contact the top of the chamber in time to "lever" the case downward to align it with the bore. If the upward angle of the round coming out of the magazine isn't "corrected" soon enough, the case just sticks there because of the steep angle.

I discovered this after using a new bullet mold with an ever-so-slightly different ogive on the bullet, and instantly started having feeding problems.
Try increasing your OAL a bit and see if that helps your feeding problem. It cured mine.

FWIW.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
I have run into that before myself. If your OAL is too short, the casing can wedge itself between the bottom and the top of the chamber. The bullet nose needs to contact the top of the chamber in time to "lever" the case downward to align it with the bore. If the upward angle of the round coming out of the magazine isn't "corrected" soon enough, the case just sticks there because of the steep angle.

I discovered this after using a new bullet mold with an ever-so-slightly different ogive on the bullet, and instantly started having feeding problems.
Try increasing your OAL a bit and see if that helps your feeding problem. It cured mine.

FWIW.
Thanks. I did recheck the OAL on the ones that didn't feed, and they are above the minimum recommended. But I will make them a little longer with today's batch and let you know how it turned out.

Thanks much.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

For the best accuracy and reliability, Try to get as close to the MAXIMUM OAL as you can and still fit in the mag/chamber.
Definately flare the mouth ENOUGH. You can avoid shaving by flaring enough.
Taper crimp is recommended. Always taper crimp in a seperate operation from bullet seating. Roll crimps (revolvers) can be applied in the same operation as seating.
Get a case gauge or use the barrel as a gauge. Remove barrel and drop the rounds into the chamber to see if they fit.

Texas, huh. If I have negelected to say so, WELCOME!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
For the best accuracy and reliability, Try to get as close to the MAXIMUM OAL as you can and still fit in the mag/chamber.
Definately flare the mouth ENOUGH. You can avoid shaving by flaring enough.
Taper crimp is recommended. Always taper crimp in a seperate operation from bullet seating. Roll crimps (revolvers) can be applied in the same operation as seating.
With the dies I have, how do I taper them separately from the seating? It is done in one step with what I have? Do I simply set the bullet, then remove that piece and taper it to feel? Also, the bible does not have the max OAL that I can see only the minimum OAL. Or is the max OAL listed on the diagram at the start of the page with that particular caliber?

Quote:
Get a case gauge or use the barrel as a gauge. Remove barrel and drop the rounds into the chamber to see if they fit.
Ive got a dial caliper, but I did use one of my spare barrels to check the ones that didn't feed properly the other day, and found a few that fit perfectly, went back out and shot them with no problem.

Quote:
Texas, huh. If I have negelected to say so, WELCOME!
I don't remember if you did or not, but if you didn't you should be ashamed of yourself Mister.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #17

How hot are you loading them? Sometimes lead fouling can cause them to set back far enough that it doesn't fully go back into battery.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #18

I haven't noticed any fouling in the barrel or near the leade. I haven't used more than 4.8 gr of WIN 231.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

1.275" is book max for the cartridge. I try to load near that length. Check a samll batch in your magazines to be sure they move smoothly from a fully loaded mag.

If you are using a 3 die set and/or a single stage press, you would have to loosen the die (to eliminate the crimp feature) and screw the seater stem in further. Then once all were seated, Loosen/remove the seater stem and screw the die in further to apply a crimp.

Alternatives? Get a Lee taper crimp die (inexpensive). Get a progressive press (more expensive). Get a max cartridge headspace gauge (Midwayusa.com).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #20

Ok thank you.