Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Issues with feeding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Issues with feeding

I recently started having an issue feeding my reloads. I have a RCBS starter five, and am loading .45 with 230gr RN lead. I checked the dimensions and they seem to be in tolerance, but are not near as pretty as some that I have done. Maybe I pressed them in too far? But they don't go below the Min OAL.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #2

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Shooter Girl,

What type of feeding problem are you haveing? What type of crimp are you using is the case lip catching or is the round lodging at the top of the chamber?

Old 11-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #3

Just a normal compression crimp. I use the RCBS three die Carbide set.

A few of them seemed to catch at the top of the ramp, but most of them were simply keeping it slightly out of battery.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Sounds like you are doing 1 of 2 things wrong.

1. To much crimp
2. Not enough Crimp.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #5

Would it help if you had pictures of the ones that wouldn't chamber?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Pics of yourself are always encouraged.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #7

Somehow I doubt that pictures of me will solve this problem.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

What was the question again?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #9

Well thank ya very much.

I guess I will just load up a few tomorrow and see what I did wrong.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Well, I have run into some problems loading 45 ACP LEAD bullets- if the case mouths are not chamfered, they may shave a bit of lead when bullet is seated. Since these headspace off the case mouth, just smidgen of lead that has overlapped the case mouth screws up going fully into battery. You might look real hard at the end of the case on your loaded rounds- if you do not have a good clean case mouth AFTER bullet is seated, might be what's doing it. Have had to use a very sharp blade and trim a few.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.