Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Isn't this cheap 9mm ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/isnt-cheap-9mm-ammo-40492/)

canebrake 03-29-2011 11:24 PM

Isn't this cheap 9mm ammo?

9mm Blazer $8.99/50

With $12 shipping for 1K rounds.

Yea, I know its aluminium and not re-loadable but.................(he loved her butt).......<$0.20/rd is fun gunning!

NGIB 03-29-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 475409)
9mm Blazer $8.99/50

Yea, I know its aluminium and not re-loadable but.................(he loved her butt).......<$0.20/rd is fun gunning!

I have shot a ton of this stuff and I may have to stock up again...

Bigcountry02 03-30-2011 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 475409)
9mm Blazer $8.99/50

I have fired alot of the Blazer 9mm 115 gr ammo. It is good for the range, target practice. I did have a few boxes stored for almost 6 years at my family house when I was stationed in Germany.

Petel 04-03-2011 05:21 PM

Hello again Canebrake.
Re, CCI Blazer aluminium cases, yourself and other contributors may be interested in the following.

As stated my other thread, " CCI Blazer empty cases? " when I held an FAC in the UK ( 1970's to 1980's ) I had a Beretta 92, through which I ran a good deal of CCI Blazer aluminium 9mm. At the time, I was reloading Berdan primed cases ( 9mm .303 & 7.62x51 ) on my Wamadet Portapress on a regular basis.

As an experiment, I took one fired Blazer 9mm aluminium case and marked it across the base with a needle file, in order to be able to identify it.

Over a period of several weeks, I reloaded and fired that case twenty three times, before the sidewall of the case split, one split, from the case mouth to about 11mm down.

Admittedly, it was only a light plinking load with a cast lead round nose projectile of approx 90 grains but I thought it was not bad for a "Non Reloadable" case. Throughout the entire experiment, the case remained Berdan primed. Although I did have the tools required to convert to a Boxer primer, I kept this option for brass cases only.

Of course, I do not advocate anyone attempting this, it was purely an experiment done under my own strict control and at my own risk.
Interesting none the less.

Regards Pete.

tekarra 04-03-2011 08:47 PM

Pete,
Very interesting experiment. I had thought of doing the same, but am not able to find Berdan primers. I have shot a lot of aluminium Blazer over the years with not problems.

Petel 04-04-2011 04:17 AM

Hello Tekarra.
Many thanks for your comment and your interest.
Regards Pete.

Lindenwood 04-05-2011 03:23 AM

I have also heard of people reloading aluminum cases with pretty reasonable success as well (more to try, than to try to save those few pennies).

And I have used lots of Al- and Steel-cased ammo without any problems, especially in a solid gun. I never bothered reloading 9mm because it is so cheap to buy and it goes so quickly that it wasn't worth the hassle (saving about $5 per range trip over the cheapest bulk stuff), plus there isn't much less room to play with various loads so it didn't have the same appeal. Though with .44 I save about $50 per range trip (about $9 per 50, rather than about $30 per 50), and I can put together almost any kind of load I want, which gives me two really good reasons to like it heh.

Lindenwood 04-05-2011 03:27 AM

And here is a similar deal:

AMM-4701 - Ammo 9mm TulAmmo FMJ 115 Grain 900 Round Can Made in Russia 1150 fps Steel Cased Polymer coated.

They seem to be out of most of the other cheap stuff, but they consistently have stuff like this.

And to be honest, the Winchester White Box stuff from Walmart, at $19.99 for 100 rounds, is actually not too bad. Comes out to $10/50, and within reasonable ranges tax comes out to about what shipping would be. In reality, that stuff is about the cheapest around for brass cases.